Arlington, Virginia Human Service Childcare Guidelines

Started by alfred russel, May 04, 2009, 07:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I find some of these unbelievable. 8 year olds can't be left alone in a yard for any period of time? 15 year olds can't be left unsupervised overnight? 17 year olds can't be left for more than two nights unsupervised? Hell, I started college when I was 17.

Posted so you can share in my outrage.

http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/HumanServices/services/family/HumanServicesServicesFamilyHowyoung.aspx

How Young Is Too Young To Be Home Alone?

These guidelines represent the minimal acceptable standards for the supervision of children developed by professionals in collaboration with the community. Remember, these are only guidelines. There may be situations when it is not safe to leave a child unsupervised.   Arlington County Child Protective Services Hotline
TEL 703-228-1500
TTY 703-228-1598
Babysitting guidelines are also available.
For information on child care resources, call 703-228-1685.

Whenever any child is unsupervised/unattended:

* There must be no emotional, medical, or behavioral problems that affect the child's judgment or decision-making.
    * The child must be comfortable being alone.
    * All youths, including teens, must have a safety plan worked out with the parent/caretaker including:
         1. How to access a parent or other responsible adult at all times (knowing the adult's whereabouts and telephone number).
         2. What to do in case of an emergency.
         3. Guidelines for acceptable behavior.
    * Youth must demonstrate the ability to follow the safety plan and make good decisions about personal safety.

Supervision Guidelines:

* 8 years and under : Should not be left alone for any period of time. This includes leaving children unattended in cars, playgrounds, and yards.
    * 9 to 10 years : Should not be left alone for more than 1 ½ hours and only during daylight and early evening hours.
    * 11 to 12 years : May be left alone for up to 3 hours, but not late at night or in circumstances requiring adult supervision.
    * 13 to 15 years : May be left unsupervised, but not overnight.
    * 16 to 17 years : May be left unsupervised for up to two consecutive overnight periods.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on May 04, 2009, 07:20:09 PM15 year olds can't be left unsupervised overnight? 17 year olds can't be left for more than two nights unsupervised?

No way in hell, not at my house.  I was 15 and 17 once;  things catch fire.

Neil

Leaving teenagers overnight unsupervised?  Fuck that.  Lots of that is ridiculous, but I have no problem with supervising teenagers.  In fact, your average 8-year old is much less dangerous than your average 15-year old.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

You will change your mind when you have teenagers.Can you imagine having to watch a teenager all the time? The inanity of the phone conversations you would here would probably cause you to burn the house down.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

grumbler

Wow, this thread is awesome.  :D

Talk about a storm in a tea cup!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2009, 06:58:39 AM
Wow, this thread is awesome.  :D

Talk about a storm in a tea cup!
Is there much of a storm?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maximus

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2009, 08:20:57 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 05, 2009, 07:00:09 AM
Is there much of a storm?
How often is Alfy "outraged?"
I, personally, am outraged by your attitude.  I am reporting you to the nearest child welfare officer.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on May 05, 2009, 07:23:23 AM
They're guidelines, not law.

A truly good parent will sit in their kid's room all night and watch him sleep.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2009, 08:46:14 AM
Quote from: merithyn on May 05, 2009, 07:23:23 AM
They're guidelines, not law.

A truly good parent will sit in their kid's room all night and watch him sleep.

First parents will do literally that with newborns - I am not joking; I certainly did, when he was sick. I was terrified he'd stop breathing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

alfred russel