And we're back!

Main Menu

Third Carrier Group to the Persian Gulf

Started by Alcibiades, January 30, 2012, 09:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2012, 12:27:02 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 31, 2012, 11:09:18 AM
Clinton dodged the draft, so I doubt he'll get a carrier named after him.

Right, and Reagan's service in the Navy was so pivotal at Santa Cruz.

But he did wear a uniform at least, so he's got that over Clinton.

So does that mean Bush43 gets a carrier eventually? :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Yeah probably.

Clinton should at least get a submarine like Carter.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Maximus

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 31, 2012, 12:55:31 PM
Yeah probably.

Carter started the military expansion that Reagan gets credit for.

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 31, 2012, 12:55:31 PM
Yeah probably.

But Carter actually served on submarines.  I'm not sure where the comparison comes from...

You guys should just take the simple route and name your ships after cities like we do. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

I think we should go with warlike adjectives. Who cares if they've been used before.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Laundry Ship Walter Mondale.

Only thing that annoys me is the carrier admirals from WWII are given names on destroyers. DDG Halsey? yuk. Give that man a CVN.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Kleves

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 30, 2012, 09:53:11 AM
I pity the world that has China has the hyper-power.
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

Quote from: Kleves on January 31, 2012, 03:03:34 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 30, 2012, 09:53:11 AM
I pity the world that has China has the hyper-power.
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Don't worry.  The GOP isn't really big on the brains department either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valdemar

We name our larger ships after historical figures.. ofc we have a longer history to take of, and far fewer ships, so we don't get this kind of conflict  :D

The 5 most recent were, Absalon, Esben Snarre, Ivar Huitfeldt, Peter Willemoes, and Niels Juel (Take that swedes, we will keep naming a ship after him in every second generation :D).

V

CountDeMoney

QuoteDUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — The U.S. Navy said Monday it has deployed a second aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf region amid rising tensions with Iran over its nuclear program.

The deployment of the nuclear-powered USS Enterprise along the Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group marks only the fourth time in the past decade that the Navy has had two aircraft carriers operating at the same time in the Persian Gulf and the Arabian Sea, said Cmdr. Amy Derrick-Frost of the Bahrain-based 5th Fleet.

The two carriers will support the American military operations in Afghanistan and anti-piracy efforts off Somalia's coast and in the Gulf of Aden, said Derrick-Frost.

The warships also patrol the Gulf's strategic oil routes that Iran has threatened to shut down in retaliation for economic sanctions.

The deployment of the second aircraft carrier is "routine and not specific to any threat," Derrick-Frost added. She did say how long the Navy will keep the increased military presence in region.

It was in June 2010 that the U.S. had two carriers operating in the region. Before then, the carriers were deployed in March 2003 during the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq and in February 2007 in support of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 09, 2012, 09:18:42 AM
Amy Derrick-Frost of the Bahrain-based 5th Fleet.

Wasnt she the horny MILF in the John Candy movie Uncle Buck
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Siege

Quote from: Valdemar on January 31, 2012, 10:56:33 AM
Just a question, I noticed by accident that a number of new carriers are named after former presidents, including living ones.

Why did they skip Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton? Was that by choice, because the declined the honour, some political thing or what?

V

Because they are both Democrats, dah.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"