Kentucky Cuts Education; Preserves Tax Breaks For Creationist Theme Park

Started by Syt, January 27, 2012, 07:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2012, 11:28:57 AM
Noah sucks though.  Moses wanted to go down with his people and God saved them.  Noah just lets them all drown the selfish fuck.

There was no room and the animals were already on the boat.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: sbr on January 27, 2012, 08:04:14 PM
The thread about this on EUOT had a link to this blog.  It is a review of a textbook, Science 4 for Christian Schools produced by Bob Jones University.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Eye-Opening_Highlights_From_a_Creationist_Science_Textbook

Whoa! :huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Noah sucks though.  Moses wanted to go down with his people and God saved them.  Noah just lets them all drown the selfish fuck.

Maybe he tripped and fell into the boat.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on January 27, 2012, 08:10:37 PM
What the hell does this have to do with me? :blink:  Every time there's a news story about something stupid happening in Missouri or Texas I don't say "good job Raz" or "good job Valmy". :P

I don't know about Valmy but unlike Raz, you voluntarily chose to move there.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

IIRC Valmy is a texan with carpetbagging marylander roots from his poppa.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

fhdz

Quote from: Iormlund on January 28, 2012, 07:32:16 AM

Maybe he tripped and fell into the boat.

:lmfao:
and the horse you rode in on

AnchorClanker

Interesting.  It's a pity that they can't be more sensible about their situation.  Even an indirect subsidy, while legal, impacts the state budget and is thus a conscious decision to "fund" this at the expense of more worthy projects.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Admiral Yi

The sensibility of the tax break is ostenisbly about investment and job creation, not about the product they deliver.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2012, 02:58:56 PM
The sensibility of the tax break is ostenisbly about investment and job creation, not about the product they deliver.

That's the spoonful of sugar to make the medicine go down.  It's a tough sell that this is more worthy than projects that had their funding decreased.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Admiral Yi

Typically a state Economic Development Office will offer a company tax breaks if they locate in their jurisdiction.  Without the tax breaks the company will go somewhere else.  So the alternative is not $50 million more in the state budget to spend on other nice things, it's likely less tax revenues.

No idea what the spoonful of sugar is supposed to mean.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2012, 03:21:53 PM
Typically a state Economic Development Office will offer a company tax breaks if they locate in their jurisdiction.  Without the tax breaks the company will go somewhere else.  So the alternative is not $50 million more in the state budget to spend on other nice things, it's likely less tax revenues.

That's the theory.  In practice, a lot of businesses get tax breaks that would have located in-state anyway. 

In general, I don't favor the practice.  I'd make an exception for breaks that go to companies willing to locate in areas within a state that are particularly economically disadvantaged or underdeveloped.

The Brain

Quote from: dps on January 28, 2012, 05:56:10 PM

That's the theory.  In practice, a lot of businesses get tax breaks that would have located in-state anyway. 

In general, I don't favor the practice.  I'd make an exception for breaks that go to companies willing to locate in areas within a state that are particularly economically disadvantaged or underdeveloped.

So it's OK in this case.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Yes it does seem off considering that a "spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." I doubt Ank thinks this is beneficial. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

citizen k

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2012, 09:04:05 PM

Yes it does seem off considering that a "spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." I doubt Ank thinks this is beneficial. :D

Maybe creation parks can be delightful?

Caliga

Ask Ed... I think he's been to that one. :hmm:

A friend of mine took his wife and kids there as a lark (they're atheists) and his son got really scared and started screaming so they had to leave. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points