News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Strongest solar storm for some years

Started by Richard Hakluyt, January 24, 2012, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Ideologue

I hope a TeV cosmic ray defies the odds and hits me right in the brain.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Walking the dog in the afternoon usually results in a good light show up here.... Glorious Aurora Borealis are a mundane occurance here.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

lustindarkness

Is this why my cable TV was kinda screwy yesterday?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 26, 2012, 10:52:41 PM
I've never seen the northern Lights. :(

Don't feel bad, I was in Alaska for three years and I never saw them either.

Martinus

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 24, 2012, 03:40:43 PM
Is this why my cable TV was kinda screwy yesterday?

Mine was out for a day too. Does it just affect polar areas or other places?

Richard Hakluyt

When there is a solar storm the earth is bombarded with a stream of high-energy particles that play havoc with electronic systems. Luckily the Earth's magnetosphere diverts most of them out of the way, otherwise we couldn't play computer games and would have to die of cancer instead.

http://www.windows2universe.org/earth/Magnetosphere/overview.html

Every now and then the polarity reverses for reasons unknown. This takes a few hundred years or so. Such a reversal, with its temporarily weak magnetic field, would be pretty bad for us in our current state of technology.

The airlines rerouted a lot of polar flights during the storm as the concentration of such particles was very high up there.

The Brain

Has anyone actually seen these particles? :yeahright:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valdemar

Quote from: Viking on January 24, 2012, 03:19:21 PM
Walking the dog in the afternoon usually results in a good light show up here....

Some dog :D

V

Valdemar