News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Laptop/tablet advice

Started by Monoriu, January 25, 2012, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

My current laptop is becoming too slow, and it can't play HD movies.  It plays non-HD movies choppily. 

I use it almost exclusively for travel, so weight is my number 1 issue.  Ideally, it should be around 1kg (weak arms).  I use it for internet and iTunes.  Good internet connectivity is a must.  I once had a laptop that claims to have WiFi function but in reality the connection is always horrible  :mad: I also want to connect it with a portable harddrive and DVD drive via USB.  If a tablet can do all these I am willing to consider it.  Microsoft Office would be a nice-to-have, but not absolutely essential.  Desired screen size is around 10-12 inch. 

No macs.  I don't think I can connect a USB device to an ipad, so that's out too. 

Any suggestions?

Tonitrus

They're not out yet, but the previews of Vizio's new laptops (and maybe tablet too) that they unveiled at CES look promising as a Mac alternative.

Lucidor

http://eee.asus.com/eeepad/transformer-prime/features/

I've been toying with the idea of getting this for some time. Tablet + keyboard.

derspiess

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 26, 2012, 12:47:32 AM
They're not out yet, but the previews of Vizio's new laptops (and maybe tablet too) that they unveiled at CES look promising as a Mac alternative.

Ditto.  They're also supposed to come with zero crapware pre-loaded, so you should be able to hit the ground running without having to de-crapify your system or do a fresh install of the OS.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Monoriu

Thanks.

After a bit of looking around, I am pretty sure that all tablets are out.  There is only one model that has a USB port.  And it is quite useless, because I can't plug an external HD there and play the movie files inside.  The idea of using a computer without Windows or Explorer also horrifies me  :D

How come they don't make tablet-looking computers that run Windows? 

I'm now leaning toward something called Ultrabooks, whatever that means.  Light and fast, that's what I want.   

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on January 27, 2012, 01:12:24 AM
Thanks.

After a bit of looking around, I am pretty sure that all tablets are out.  There is only one model that has a USB port.  And it is quite useless, because I can't plug an external HD there and play the movie files inside.  The idea of using a computer without Windows or Explorer also horrifies me  :D

How come they don't make tablet-looking computers that run Windows? 

I'm now leaning toward something called Ultrabooks, whatever that means.  Light and fast, that's what I want.  

Windows has done tablets, but their timing has historically been bad and they've had lousy luck with the market in general.  I unloaded it in '06, but I actually used to have a "hybrid" laptop/tablet that ran Windows XP Tablet Edition- I miss it very much. :(
Experience bij!

Lucidor

Hey now, you can play anything from that Transformer Prime, it has drivers for all kinds of disks, like NTFS. However, if you want to do heavy typing I would recomend a computer.