And we're back!

Main Menu

Iraq falling apart?

Started by Kleves, January 23, 2012, 10:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: 11B4V on January 23, 2012, 12:05:07 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on January 23, 2012, 12:04:03 PM
We need to re-invade with four times as many troops. It will help solve the unemployment problem as well as make the world safe for democracy.

At least on the contractor side of the house.

Which is where I plan to be in a year. Recently got my Top Secret clearance. :)

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2012, 12:01:15 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 23, 2012, 11:59:14 AM
We did what we could. The rest is (mostly) on them.

Yeah that is how I would hope people see it, or they just recognize Iraq was never going to work as a country.
whithout a strong man. if only there was a strong man that could keep them together...

:p
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Yeah that is how I would hope people see it, or they just recognize Iraq was never going to work as a country.
We failed.  I agree that you did what you could from around 2006, but for the first 3 years of the occupation we failed and I think that was the period when there was most chance of success or worst consequences for failure.
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

I get the feeling that I'm about to see a train wreck. I dont know why.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Phillip V

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2012, 12:11:38 PM

We failed.  I agree that you did what you could from around 2006, but for the first 3 years of the occupation we failed and I think that was the period when there was most chance of success or worst consequences for failure.

Is it 10 years in Afghanistan, yet?  :lol:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Kleves on January 23, 2012, 10:30:34 AM
What a clusterfuck. If Iraq goes (further) into the shitter, it will not be good for Obama.

You may be right, or it may make people even more glad we got out of that mess.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Phillip V on January 23, 2012, 12:15:07 PM
Is it 10 years in Afghanistan, yet?  :lol:
We may have failed there too, but less and more understandably.  Iraq was a distraction.  Again I think we had a very real opportunity for about 4-5 years in Afghanistan which we didn't take because we moved onto Iraq.

Having said that the Taliban and Pakistan connection made Afghanistan far harder to predict.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Here's hoping an independent Kurdistan makes it out of the ruins.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on January 23, 2012, 12:19:07 PM

Why would you hope for such a disastrous developement?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2012, 12:19:51 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 23, 2012, 12:19:07 PM

Why would you hope for such a disastrous developement?

Wouldnt the turks shit a cow if that happened?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

Yep.  And it'd be awesome.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: 11B4V on January 23, 2012, 12:20:44 PM
Wouldnt the turks shit a cow if that happened?
And the Iranians and the Syrians (assuming they both still have functioning governments).
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on January 23, 2012, 12:14:01 PM
I get the feeling that I'm about to see a train wreck. I dont know why.

Have you been putting stuff on the track again?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Kleves

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 23, 2012, 12:17:49 PM
You may be right, or it may make people even more glad we got out of that mess.
Maybe. I think it's just as likely that Obama will be blamed for things going pear shaped. Juxtaposing those quotes from Obama in the article ([Obama]hailed [al-Maliki] as the leader of "Iraq's most inclusive government yet.") with some of the stuff that's going on ("within a month, al-Maliki would arrest multiple major opposition figures, and Iraqi democracy was on the verge of complete collapse") could be very effective.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.