News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Time for a new laptop

Started by Berkut, January 20, 2012, 03:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Going to replace the dinosaur the kids use most of the time.

Budget: Under $1000 USD
No Macs.
15.6" screen, 17" is too big to be as portable as desired.
This is NOT a replacement for a desktop, but...
My son will want to play games on it, so decent gaming performance is needed. Certainly a dedicated graphics card.

I've looked over Newegg, which is always my first stop for PC stuff, but I've never actually bought a laptop before. Are there other good places to find good prices for laptops? Should I even bother looking at somewhere like Dell?

Anyone shopped for a mid-range laptop recently?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on January 20, 2012, 03:34:10 PM
I've looked over Newegg, which is always my first stop for PC stuff, but I've never actually bought a laptop before. Are there other good places to find good prices for laptops? Should I even bother looking at somewhere like Dell?

Anyone shopped for a mid-range laptop recently?

I actually like hpshopping.com - allows a lot more customization than newegg does.  I've bought some laptops from newegg before, though (Acers IIRC), and they were fine.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Berkut

Hmmm, I like that Toshiba site...thanks!

0 rows returned

Barrister

How important is weight to you Berk?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Not terribly, but not immaterial either. It si for the kids, so I don't want something very large. Peanut likes to take the laptop into the living room to "practice her cheerleading moves" with help from youtube.

0 rows returned

Arvoreen

I bought my kids HP laptops for Christmas...they seem to be pretty nice (and are replacing the previous HP laptops they had).

http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/category/notebooks/dv6tse_series/3/computer_store?