Supreme Court Says Congress May Re-Copyright Public Domain Works

Started by jimmy olsen, January 18, 2012, 11:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: dps on January 19, 2012, 11:44:43 AM
I agree, but since I don't buy Valmy's contention that copyright limits 1st Amendment rights, I don't see any constitutional problems with the ruling.

It's not just Valmy's contention that a) Copyright restricts freedom of speech or that b) Copyright is subject to some First Amendment restrictions.

Quote from: SCOTUS majority opinionConcerning the First Amendment, we recognized that some restriction on expression is the inherent and intended effect of every grant of copyright
We then described the "traditional contours" of copyright protection,  i.e., the "idea/expression dichotomy" and the "fair use" defense.  Both are recognized in our jurisprudence as "built-in First Amendment accommodations.

dps

Quote from: ulmont on January 19, 2012, 11:54:46 AM
Quote from: dps on January 19, 2012, 11:44:43 AM
I agree, but since I don't buy Valmy's contention that copyright limits 1st Amendment rights, I don't see any constitutional problems with the ruling.

It's not just Valmy's contention that a) Copyright restricts freedom of speech or that b) Copyright is subject to some First Amendment restrictions.

Quote from: SCOTUS majority opinionConcerning the First Amendment, we recognized that some restriction on expression is the inherent and intended effect of every grant of copyright
We then described the “traditional contours” of copyright protection,  i.e., the “idea/expression dichotomy” and the “fair use” defense.  Both are recognized in our jurisprudence as “built-in First Amendment accommodations.

I buy the Court's version, but not Valmy's.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2012, 12:12:33 PM
I don't get it. What's retroactive about it?

The act gave copyright protection for works in the United States that had previously fallen into the public domain.

The Brain

Quote from: ulmont on January 19, 2012, 01:01:05 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2012, 12:12:33 PM
I don't get it. What's retroactive about it?

The act gave copyright protection for works in the United States that had previously fallen into the public domain.

So? The state taketh away all the time.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.