News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tory MP suggests Somerset timezone

Started by Sheilbh, January 18, 2012, 04:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

QuoteMoggy Time

With his tweeds, specs and patrician manner, Jacob Rees-Mogg is the epitome of the young fogey backbencher.

Aptly enough, it now seems that the Moggster (who has an impressive fan club) is rather literally keen on taking us back in time.

Or to be more precise, on taking the West Country back in time.

For an idle glance at the new amendments to the Daylight Saving Bill suggests that he wants to give Somerset its own time-zone.

Rees-Mogg, 42, has an amendment that states:
"The county of Somerset as defined by the Lieutenants Act 1997 shall revert to the customary time used prior to the Great Western Railway time established in 1840."

Now, for the uninitiated, Great Western Railway time was introduced to ensure trains ran on time in a standardised way across England.

Prior to its introduction, the locally agreed time was often set by local churches and was roughly 10-15 minutes behind London. So Rees-Mogg wants Somerset to run literally at least 10 minutes behind the rest of the UK.

For the anoraks among us, it may be worth pointing out some of the historical background to this. Railway companies faced local opposition when they introduced the new standard time in 1840. For a while, there were two different times shown in some towns and cities: station clocks would show 'London Time' (ie GMT), while others (particularly church clocks) would be set locally.

As a temporary compromise, public clocks in Exeter and Bristol added a second minute hand that showed the London Time for those who wanted it. In Exeter, local time was 14 minutes behind London, while Bristol was 10 minutes behind.
Anyway, it looks as though Rees-Mogg* is determined to go back to the future.

Some say he already lives in the past, but few thought he wanted to stay there permanently.

*FOOTNOTE: This may of course be an elaborate joke by the Moggster to highlight the need to strengthen the Union. Who knows..

:lol:

His father Lord Rees-Mogg tried to get judicial review of the ratification of the Maastricht treaty.  In the run-up to the EU summit, at PMQs, young Rees-Mogg asked a rather bizarre question about whether Cameron would be a 'British lion or Bagpuss?'  So this isn't necessarily too odd...
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I think it was Private Eye that used to refer to his father as "Mystic Mogg"  :lol:

They are both harmless IMO  :cool:

Monoriu

The guy should work in China.  All of China is one big timezone  :lol:

Josquius

Make the world one time zone and be done with it!
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on January 18, 2012, 04:56:15 AM
The guy should work in China.  All of China is one big timezone  :lol:
That's foolish and counterproductive.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Brazen

Just 10 minutes? In my experience, Somerset runs 30 years behind the rest of the UK.

Martinus

Aristocrats like this make me fond of Robespierre.

Sheilbh

He's not an aristocrat. Far less posh than Cameron who wanted Jacob's sister, Anunziata Rees-Mogg, to call herself 'Annie' when running to be a Tory MP :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

So...why wouldn't this be a joke against devolution and that fracturing of the union?  It makes so little sense for it to be anything else.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 18, 2012, 08:26:00 AM
He's not an aristocrat. Far less posh than Cameron who wanted Jacob's sister, Anunziata Rees-Mogg, to call herself 'Annie' when running to be a Tory MP :bleeding:

He's as close to being an aristocrat as is possible to be without a title. Father editor of the times, Eton, Trinity, double-barrelled surname. Runs his own financial service company, married to an heiress.

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on January 18, 2012, 08:54:09 AM
Runs his own financial service company

:hmm: Are aristocrats the new banking class?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Gups

There's always been lots of aristocrats involved in banking, expecially private banking.

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on January 18, 2012, 09:25:57 AM
There's always been lots of aristocrats involved in banking, expecially private banking.

Well I am glad they are making themselves useful then.

Razgovory

Personally I prefer this useless Conservative quackery over the type we have here.  Such as abolishing the Federal reserve.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 18, 2012, 08:26:00 AM

Does his family own a castle?