News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Sinking of the Concordia

Started by jimmy olsen, January 15, 2012, 08:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

It is pretty bad when other Italians think you are cowardly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2012, 09:27:53 AM
It is pretty bad when other Italians think you are cowardly.

I remember reading Machiavelli and I think there was a passage where he was marvelling at how brave and fierce Italians are individually but lack those qualities so completely when grouped together in an army.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Standing behind the Schettino army would be a fearful thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

QuoteSome of the crew demanded that the captain speed up the evacuation, but he appeared to do what many Italians resort to when the heat is on – and phoned his mother.

:lmfao:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

Turns out the captain wasn't a coward after all.  He was helping the passengers escape the ship when he tripped into the lifeboat.

Legbiter

:lol:

Strangely enough it looks like his second and third officers also tripped with him into the same lifeboat.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

Can't wait for the trial.  All those flailing hand gestures.  Boppada boopy.

Octavian

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 20, 2012, 06:33:14 AM
Can't wait for the trial.  All those flailing hand gestures.  Boppada boopy.

I'm sure we will hear; "What a mistake-a to make-a" and "I drop-a the bolls" many times during the trial.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Gups

Martinus

Quote20 January 2012 Last updated at 07:34 GMT
Costa Concordia disaster: Crew urged 'return to cabins'

A video has emerged showing the crew of the Costa Concordia reassuring passengers nothing was wrong, after the cruise ship had begun taking in water.

In the amateur footage, a crew member says "everything is under control" and asks passengers to go to their cabins.

It is thought the delay in deciding to abandon the ship may have cost lives. At least 11 people died.

Rescue workers have suspended their search once again after the ship shifted in choppy waters on Friday.

The boat's movements have twice before hampered the work of rescuers, with the search suspended almost all day on Wednesday.

The ship may have only moved by a metre or as little as a few centimetres, but officials fear it could suddenly slip into much deeper water, says the BBC's Alan Johnston at the scene.

The Costa Concordia ran aground off Italy's coast a week ago with some 4,200 people on board.

Twenty-one people are still missing, and hopes to find any of them alive are fading fast.

'Seated and tranquil'

The latest amateur footage was posted online by Italy's Rainews24 on Thursday.

In it, a female crew member is heard telling passengers: "We kindly ask you to return to your cabins, or go for a walk in the hall, if you like."

She says that she is relaying a message from the commander.

"We'll resolve the electrical problem that we have with the generator. Everything will be fine. If you want to stand here, it's fine.

"But I'm kindly asking you to go back to your rooms, where you'll be seated and tranquil. Everything is under control."

In the audio tape aired earlier on Thursday, a port authority officer is heard asking the crewman about the situation on board, after passengers had reported a huge jolt and been told to put on life vests.

But an unidentified voice from the Costa Concordia replies: "We had a blackout and we are checking the conditions on board."

"Do you need help or are you staying in the Giglio area for now?" the port official asks.

"Confirmed. We remain here in the area to check the blackout," the crew member replies, without making any reference to a crash.

Our correspondent says the impression left by the recording is that the crewman failed to give a full account of the gravity of the situation.

Woman sought

The ship's captain, Francisco Schettino, is under house arrest on suspicion of multiple manslaughter.

The owners say he was sailing too close to Giglio on an unauthorised course.

Prosecutors have also accused him of fleeing the ship before evacuation was complete. He denies the accusations.

However Italian media have said Capt Schettino did admit to making a navigational error.

He told investigators he had "ordered the turn too late" as the luxury ship sailed close to an island, according to a leaked interrogation transcript.

He also reportedly said the crew had decided to sail close to the island to salute a former colleague.

The company that owns the ship, Costa Cruises, has suspended Capt Schettino and withdrawn an offer to pay his legal costs, according to reports.

Italian media have also shown pictures of a Moldovan woman who says she was on the bridge after the ship ran aground. The woman defended Capt Schettino's actions, in an interview with Moldovan TV.

The reports say investigators are trying to speak to her.

Salvage operators are standing by to start pumping fuel from the ship's tanks to avoid a potential environmental disaster.

:homestar:

Note to self: never buy a trip on an Italian cruise ship.

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on January 18, 2012, 02:24:26 PM
:lol:

Strangely enough it looks like his second and third officers also tripped with him into the same lifeboat.

Have you heard about the Italian cruise ship officers who were soooo cowardly....

That the other Italians noticed?

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!