News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Genocide in S. Sudan?

Started by jimmy olsen, January 13, 2012, 05:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

The UN is to busy planning to conquer the US and take away people's guns.  I saw Ron Paul on one of those John Birch Society videos discussing this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 13, 2012, 05:51:28 AM
Wait, we are backing a government there?  Why we are backing any government there?

Because we're "hoping it will overcome its deeply etched history of poverty, violence and ethnic fault lines to emerge as a stable, Western-friendly nation in a volatile region" apparently. 

Or to put it another way, we're being foolish and spending money we don't have.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2012, 01:51:19 PM
Wait, we are backing a government there?  Why we are backing any government there?

Because we're "hoping it will overcome its deeply etched history of poverty, violence and ethnic fault lines to emerge as a stable, Western-friendly nation in a volatile region" apparently. 

I don't really care if South Sudan is Western friendly, Eastern Friendly or Galactic Spinward friendly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on January 13, 2012, 01:53:32 PM

I don't really care if South Sudan is Western friendly, Eastern Friendly or Galactic Spinward friendly.

Maintaining a positive relationship with the Spinward Marches should be an essential goal for any planet in the Third Imperium. :nerd:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

I think it's a "nice to have" but not really worth much effort or money we spent.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2012, 02:01:37 PM

I think it's a "nice to have" but not really worth much effort or money we spent.
There's a few elements.  South Sudan's Christian, very pro-Israel and oppressed by Arab Muslims.  That makes it a reasonably attractive country for the right to support - I think National Review recently had an article on it.  Also it's strategically important due to the water politics of the region I think.  Also it's part of the great game.  The Chinese are historically very invested in the Sudanese oil industry, they mainly supported the North though.  Most of the oil's in the South.  There could be an opportunity for US business there.

How much effort and money have you spent, by the way?
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 13, 2012, 01:38:15 PM
The UN is to busy planning to conquer the US and take away people's guns.  I saw Ron Paul on one of those John Birch Society videos discussing this.
It wasn't Ron Paul, it was a ghost speaker.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on January 13, 2012, 01:59:55 PM

Maintaining a positive relationship with the Spinward Marches should be an essential goal for any planet in the Third Imperium. :nerd:
Is it really?  I doubt that Solomani are much concerned with goings on the Spinward Marches.  I would imagine their preoccupied with the Aslan and with their own politics.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 13, 2012, 02:12:39 PM

It all adds up, Yi.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2012, 05:33:45 PM

It all adds up, Yi.
I know we're all aspects of Yi, but this is extreme :P

Also the US spent a lot of time helping negotiate the independence vote and peace deal.  You're kind of invested.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2012, 10:35:40 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 13, 2012, 10:31:56 AM
What? You can't possibly dispute that.

I certainly can.  The role of the peacekeepers is not to engage in military operations, especially against superior forces.  If they do that they are no longer peacekeepers and would need a UN resolution to do so...unless it is self defense.  So they are useless at something they are not designed or supposed to do?

First of all just because they were outnumbered doesn't they were facing superior forces. They African militiamen, any professional force should be able to tear them apart.

Secondly, what's the point of peacekeepers if they are not allowed to keep the peace. If they can't do anything they're just glorified hostages.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 13, 2012, 08:16:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2012, 10:35:40 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 13, 2012, 10:31:56 AM
What? You can't possibly dispute that.

I certainly can.  The role of the peacekeepers is not to engage in military operations, especially against superior forces.  If they do that they are no longer peacekeepers and would need a UN resolution to do so...unless it is self defense.  So they are useless at something they are not designed or supposed to do?

First of all just because they were outnumbered doesn't they were facing superior forces. They African militiamen, any professional force should be able to tear them apart.

Secondly, what's the point of peacekeepers if they are not allowed to keep the peace. If they can't do anything they're just glorified hostages.

The head of the UNPC contingent is a Nigerian general.

Sheilbh

And the Nuer have been a core of the SPLA, as mentioned in the article, they've been fighting for the past 30 years.  So they're not without experience.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

It all adds up, Yi.

With your one time donation of $50, you can equip a Southern Sudanese family with five Kalashnikov assault rifles and enough ammunition to make it through the year.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2012, 08:47:18 PM

It all adds up, Yi.

With your one time donation of $50, you can equip a Southern Sudanese family with five Kalashnikov assault rifles and enough ammunition to make it through the year.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive