"you're not really married," Canada tells foreign gays.

Started by Josephus, January 12, 2012, 10:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: dps on January 12, 2012, 10:41:53 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 12, 2012, 02:22:42 PM
It is a lot harder to actually educate the reading public in the principles of conflict of laws or arbitrations or whatever. 

Well, it's hard to teach anyone something that you don't know yourself.  This is why the press hardly ever teaches anyone anything.

Fair enough. The funny part is that the Harper Conservatives are, for once, totally blameless - they are being hammered in the media for engaging in "discrimination" against gays because a lawyer in their employ correctly set out the relevant and long-standing conflict of laws principles.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on January 13, 2012, 09:12:45 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on January 13, 2012, 01:21:39 AM
Malthus taught me that Toronto media never has any bias.  :)

Huh?  :lol:

How you eagerly accept all the yellow journalism that distorts the truth about noble and virtuous Quebec of course.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on January 13, 2012, 09:16:16 AM
Fair enough. The funny part is that the Harper Conservatives are, for once, totally blameless - they are being hammered in the media for engaging in "discrimination" against gays because a lawyer in their employ correctly set out the relevant and long-standing conflict of laws principles.  :lol:

For once?  What has BB and company been up to?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2012, 09:20:12 AM

Destroying Canada.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

:ph34r:

There is a longstanding meme that the conservatives are stealthily attempting to impose social conservatism - I don't buy into it, but I do riff on it.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2012, 09:19:39 AM
How you eagerly accept all the yellow journalism that distorts the truth about noble and virtuous Quebec of course.

Yes it is amazing how every possible story has to do with Toronto dissing Quebec. Conflict of laws issues concerning same sex marrages? All, ultimately, about that. Somehow.   :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 13, 2012, 09:22:11 AM
Destroying Canada.

Then I am surprised the Conservative Party does not do better in Quebec.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 13, 2012, 09:22:11 AM

Destroying Canada.

We must destroy Canada in order to save her. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on January 13, 2012, 09:41:03 AM

We must destroy Canada in order to save her. -_-

I look forward to the new Conservative strategic hamlet program.  ;)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Apparently it's not a conflict of laws question, but ratehr the language of the Civil Marriage Act.  The Feds have announced they will change that language so that Canada does recognize such unions, even if they would not be recognized in the home jurisdiction.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/13/harper-government-working-to-clarify-same-sex-marriage-law-so-all-marriages-are-correctly-recognized-in-canada/

But note that they still can't get a Canadian divorce - you have to be resident in Canada for one year before filing for divorce. :menace:

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on January 13, 2012, 12:46:54 PM
Apparently it's not a conflict of laws question, but ratehr the language of the Civil Marriage Act.  The Feds have announced they will change that language so that Canada does recognize such unions, even if they would not be recognized in the home jurisdiction.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/13/harper-government-working-to-clarify-same-sex-marriage-law-so-all-marriages-are-correctly-recognized-in-canada/

But note that they still can't get a Canadian divorce - you have to be resident in Canada for one year before filing for divorce. :menace:

That's not correct - it's a conflict of law issue that the government intends to fix by overriding the common law through a statutory amendment.

The entire text of the Civil Marriages Act is (currently) as follows:

QuoteShort title

1. This Act may be cited as the Civil Marriage Act.

Marriage — certain aspects of capacity

2. Marriage, for civil purposes, is the lawful union of two persons to the exclusion of all others.

Religious officials

3. It is recognized that officials of religious groups are free to refuse to perform marriages that are not in accordance with their religious beliefs.

Freedom of conscience and religion and expression of beliefs

3.1 For greater certainty, no person or organization shall be deprived of any benefit, or be subject to any obligation or sanction, under any law of the Parliament of Canada solely by reason of their exercise, in respect of marriage between persons of the same sex, of the freedom of conscience and religion guaranteed under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms or the expression of their beliefs in respect of marriage as the union of a man and woman to the exclusion of all others based on that guaranteed freedom.

Marriage not void or voidable

4. For greater certainty, a marriage is not void or voidable by reason only that the spouses are of the same sex.

Josephus

This thread has descended into lawyers fighting amongst each other  :lmfao:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on January 13, 2012, 03:32:58 PM

The best kind of fights. :menace:

dps

Quote from: Barrister on January 13, 2012, 03:36:14 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 13, 2012, 03:32:58 PM

The best kind of fights. :menace:

If only they were to the death.  :(