And we're back!

Main Menu

Weirdness From The Past or Your Past.

Started by mongers, January 11, 2012, 08:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Underage drinking without being challenged for ID  :cheers:

Barrister

Going to tthe drive-in movie in the back of my parents station wagon, then falling asleep for the second feature.  It's the trifector of things you don't see any more - drive-ins, station wagons, and a lack of seatbelt legislation.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Brazen

Pubs that charge different prices in the lounge and saloon bars!  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2012, 09:32:35 AM
Do Brits not have bottle deposits?  We still have homeless people rummaging through trashcans for bottles to return for their deposits.

Shit man, I haven't seen a bottle deposit since my mother drank Diet-Rite in those longnecks.
Virtually nobody makes bottles out of glass anymore, and only some states have bottle deposits.

syk

Being in the cargo area of a moving car with a bunch of other kids. No belts or anything and nothing ever happened. Played a game of chess by mail. Leaving the house in the morning and returning home when it got dark as a kid and nobody was worried.

11B4V

Quote from: syk on January 12, 2012, 11:00:50 AM
Being in the cargo area of a moving car with a bunch of other kids. No belts or anything and nothing ever happened. Played a game of chess by mail. Leaving the house in the morning and returning home when it got dark as a kid and nobody was worried.

or riding in the back of a pick-up truck going down the freeway. Havent seen that in ages.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

syk

And how I loved the nervous smiles on certain parents' faces when mentioning the knife my daughter got for her 5th birthday.  :cool:

PDH

Walking home from school for lunch (my god, it was two whole blocks!)

Waking up early and seeing the Indian Head test pattern on the TV.

McDonalds before the Big Mac.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2012, 11:04:26 AM
Quote from: syk on January 12, 2012, 11:00:50 AM

or riding in the back of a pick-up truck going down the freeway. Havent seen that in ages.
Probably because all the people who did it have since fallen off the truck and died.

DGuller

Back when I lived in Soviet Union, it was having some of our neighbors come to use our phone.  They didn't have one of their own, since it took years of waiting on the line to get hooked up.  We had ours mainly because my grandmother was a switchboard operator and had connections.

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2012, 11:04:26 AM

I see it all the time-- but then again my morning & evening commute is through Kentucky :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2012, 09:53:07 AM
Going to tthe drive-in movie in the back of my parents station wagon, then falling asleep for the second feature.  It's the trifector of things you don't see any more - drive-ins, station wagons, and a lack of seatbelt legislation.

:thumbsup:

Its a dump now but it is my hometown dump.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

My folks had some station wagons.  I never thought about it, but yeah, you don't see those anymore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on January 12, 2012, 11:45:30 AM
Back when I lived in Soviet Union, it was having some of our neighbors come to use our phone.  They didn't have one of their own, since it took years of waiting on the line to get hooked up.  We had ours mainly because my grandmother was a switchboard operator and had connections.

:lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Beeb, you just had to mention drive-ins. Now I can't stop looking up the old ones. YOU ASSHOLE.

http://www.roadsidepeek.com/roadusa/midwest/mwdrivein/index.htm

Sigh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive