News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most important Supreme Court case ever

Started by viper37, January 10, 2012, 03:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2012, 05:26:28 PM
It matters because no one is going to pay any attention to what Madonna has to say on the matter.

I wasn't trying to suggest we should pay attention to a television interview for Madonna in the late 80s/early 90s, just that I thought she raised a good point.  Why is sex between consenting adults so taboo but watching people die/get hurt (both physically and psychologically) all right?

Not on TV.

Also not my point. I was wondering why we can't revisit suspect policies simply because they have a historical tradition of being permitted.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

QuoteIll-treatment of African Americans was historically part of America. ;)

Not on TV.
Roots?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2012, 04:33:41 PM
I think the time will come in the not too distant future when mainstream America is OK with tits and swearing on TV, and the Church of Latter Day Tebow folks can stick to their niche cable channels.  I don't think the time is now, and I don't think the right way to initiate the change is through the courts.
I think the problem with that line of thought, is that nothing really ever changes without at some point the courts getting involved.

Waiting for people to change without pushing it usually means people's mentalities don't change.

Not that I'm confortable with the courts doing the work of the politicians, but in recent times, I tend to see the Supreme Court of Canada as both protection against government's reach into my life and a source of pressure on government to settle issues that they feel the population isn't ready yet.  Gay marriage comes to mind.  I think it first went to courts before making it into law, both in US states that allow it and Canada.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.