World's deadliest profession? Iranian nuclear scientist

Started by CountDeMoney, January 11, 2012, 06:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on January 11, 2012, 05:18:49 PM
Point number six is downright absurd. Witnessing the contrast between the fates of our Dear Leader and Saddam Hussein was more than enough encouragement for an Iranian nuclear program.
No doubt.  But there's no chance of an invasion.  Sponsoring bombs against a nuclear armed power is more dangerous - India-Pakistan's an example.
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Maximus on January 11, 2012, 04:29:56 PM
Goldberg seems to be heading for the conclusion that someone within Iran is performing these assassinations for internal consumption.

Somebody in Iran might be assassinating them for one of two good reasons

1) Stopping the program is the best way to avoid being bombed.

2) If they kill their own scientists they can plausibly achieve the dual goals of aggitating against the west for internal political reasons while not having to explain why they are unable to do what the jews and the gays did 66 years ago.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on January 11, 2012, 05:26:36 PM
Somebody in Iran might be assassinating them for one of two good reasons

1) Stopping the program is the best way to avoid being bombed.

2) If they kill their own scientists they can plausibly achieve the dual goals of aggitating against the west for internal political reasons while not having to explain why they are unable to do what the jews and the gays did 66 years ago.
Or No. 3 the regime looks like it's collapsing or suffering from a sort of internal civil war.  This is part of that.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Or it could be no. 4:  they have already served their purpose.  :ph34r:

Maximus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 11, 2012, 05:17:46 PM
Quote from: Maximus on January 11, 2012, 04:29:56 PM
Goldberg seems to be heading for the conclusion that someone within Iran is performing these assassinations for internal consumption.
I think there's the suggestion that it's not the Israelis but possibly the Americans?
Replacing Israeli with American doesn't really address any of his points though. It comes down to question #2.

Although internal dissent is another possibility, it seems unlikely to me that such a movement would be so adept at assassination.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 11, 2012, 03:15:36 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 11, 2012, 02:28:22 PM
Makes me wonder why Iran isn't doing more to protect these guys.

The director guy I can see, but it's harder to protect a University professor.  They are supposed to be accessible.  It's also clear from the assassinations and sabotage that the project is severely compromised.  There is at least one agent on the inside, probably more.

If they're on the inside of the Iranian nuclear agency, thems gotta be some evil bastards to sell out their colleagues for assassination.

The Brain

Goldberg #2 is retarded. Kill scientists involved in ANY project and it slows the project down. Even if you happen to have lots of other guys with the relevant background they can't just pick up the bloody notes and start producing 100% from day one. And Iran doesn't have large numbers of guys with the relevant background. Also it seems likely that the Iranians would pick their best nuclear guys for the bomb program. Second best (the replacement) is just that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

And talking about nuclear security. Iran seems a bit meh.

Details Iran: http://www.ntiindex.org/countries/iran/

Sweden seems to have 1-5 kg of material. Tremble plz. :ph34r:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

It's just nuclear physics.  How hard can it be, don't they have vo-tech schools for that?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

He mentions crippling.  I think there's a very real cost-benefit analysis as to how much you slow it down by a limited number of assasinations and bombs in Iran v their response to that.  If you could cripple it then that's a different question.  If you could cripple them through this then there'd be no need to consider bombing Iran.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on January 12, 2012, 01:15:12 PM
Goldberg #2 is retarded. Kill scientists involved in ANY project and it slows the project down. Even if you happen to have lots of other guys with the relevant background they can't just pick up the bloody notes and start producing 100% from day one.

Yeah, no kidding;  hell, just from a project management perspective, obliterating a single cog totally fucks up Tehran's Project 2007 layout.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 12, 2012, 01:23:45 PM
He mentions crippling.  I think there's a very real cost-benefit analysis as to how much you slow it down by a limited number of assasinations and bombs in Iran v their response to that.  If you could cripple it then that's a different question.  If you could cripple them through this then there'd be no need to consider bombing Iran.

The problem seems to be that critics somehow think it's one-stop shopping regarding the retardation of their program; "but bombing Natanz only sets them back 2 years"...fine, then hit them again in 2 years.

What has to be done is that there needs to be consistency combined with progressive ratcheting; you want the Iranians to learn that punitive measures will cost more than the program itself.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 11, 2012, 06:47:08 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 11, 2012, 03:15:36 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 11, 2012, 02:28:22 PM
Makes me wonder why Iran isn't doing more to protect these guys.

The director guy I can see, but it's harder to protect a University professor.  They are supposed to be accessible.  It's also clear from the assassinations and sabotage that the project is severely compromised.  There is at least one agent on the inside, probably more.

If they're on the inside of the Iranian nuclear agency, thems gotta be some evil bastards to sell out their colleagues for assassination.

Perhaps.  The Stuxnet virus could only be done with a man on the inside.  Someone had to carry it in, and load it on to the computers onsite.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on January 12, 2012, 01:40:45 PM
The Stuxnet virus could only be done with a man on the inside.  Someone had to carry it in, and load it on to the computers onsite.

Doesn't mean it has to be intentional "on the inside".  All you need is an introductory agent. 

"Hey, here's a free USB drive.  Enjoy." 
"Thanks!"

Berkut

I am thinking that there are lots of other potential actors here than the US and Israel. Plenty of other states are not interested in seeing a nuclear Iran.

Like Saudi Arabia. Means, motive, opportunity.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned