And we're back!

Main Menu

Anyone been to Taipei?

Started by jimmy olsen, January 11, 2012, 06:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on January 12, 2012, 07:23:23 PM
:huh:

Average high in January in Taipei is 66F/19C, and average low is 57F/14C.

I've talked to a lot of people who have lived in both Hong Kong and Vancouver.  We all agree on one thing - that the temperatures in the West Coast and Hong Kong feels very different.  12C in Hong Kong feels like freezing and is intolerable.  12C in Vancouver feels a bit cool but is fine with adequate clothing, even outdoors.  A lot of people blame the high humidity in this part of the world.  I have to wear sweaters and coats every time I visit Taipei in January, so I won't describe it as beach weather. 

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 12, 2012, 07:34:39 PM
I've had two distinct kinds at Chinese restaurants in Korea. One with a lighter more golden colored sauce that is more sweet than sour, and one with a heavier more orange/red sauce that is more tangy/sour than sweet.

There really is no standard recipe to make sweet and sour pork, or chow mien, or tan tan noodles.  The tan tan noodle exemplifies this.  Some places put peanut sauce in it, some don't.  Some put minced meat.  In some places it is so spicy that I can't tolerate one bite.  In others it is only slightly spicy.  Some places use angle hair like noodles.  Other places use noodles like linguini.  Some places add egg to the flour for making the noodles.  Some use beef stock.  Others use vegetarian stock.  It is said that no tan tan noodle is the same.  Every shop uses a different recipe.

But the point is, they are all tan tan noodles. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on January 12, 2012, 08:40:24 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 12, 2012, 07:23:23 PM
:huh:

Average high in January in Taipei is 66F/19C, and average low is 57F/14C.

I've talked to a lot of people who have lived in both Hong Kong and Vancouver.  We all agree on one thing - that the temperatures in the West Coast and Hong Kong feels very different.  12C in Hong Kong feels like freezing and is intolerable.  12C in Vancouver feels a bit cool but is fine with adequate clothing, even outdoors.  A lot of people blame the high humidity in this part of the world.  I have to wear sweaters and coats every time I visit Taipei in January, so I won't describe it as beach weather.
You're just used to much warmer weather so it feels cold to you. People who live in colder climates coming to Taipei will feel warm. It's as simple as that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on January 12, 2012, 08:46:59 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 12, 2012, 07:34:39 PM
I've had two distinct kinds at Chinese restaurants in Korea. One with a lighter more golden colored sauce that is more sweet than sour, and one with a heavier more orange/red sauce that is more tangy/sour than sweet.

There really is no standard recipe to make sweet and sour pork, or chow mien, or tan tan noodles.  The tan tan noodle exemplifies this.  Some places put peanut sauce in it, some don't.  Some put minced meat.  In some places it is so spicy that I can't tolerate one bite.  In others it is only slightly spicy.  Some places use angle hair like noodles.  Other places use noodles like linguini.  Some places add egg to the flour for making the noodles.  Some use beef stock.  Others use vegetarian stock.  It is said that no tan tan noodle is the same.  Every shop uses a different recipe.

But the point is, they are all tan tan noodles.
Ok.

Can you suggest a restaurant that serves Sweet and Sour pork that is more sour/tangy than sweet. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 12, 2012, 08:58:53 PM
Can you suggest a restaurant that serves Sweet and Sour pork that is more sour/tangy than sweet.

Sweet and sour pork is really a Cantonese thing.  It is on the menu of most Cantonese restaurants in Hong Kong.  When I go to Taiwan, I want to try something different; something that I can't normally have in Hong Kong.  So there is no point for me to order sweet and sour pork in Taiwan.  It is not their specialty anyway. 

Actually, sweet and sour pork is one of my most favourite Cantonese dishes, and I make it a point to order it at least once in every Cantonese restaurant in HK.  IMHO, the best sweet and sour pork anywhere in the world is from this restaurant -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luk_Yu_(tea_house)

If you are in Taiwan, I suggest that you order Taiwanese fried rice vermicelli instead.  This is their specialty and they do it a lot better than the Cantonese.

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 12, 2012, 08:57:17 PM
You're just used to much warmer weather so it feels cold to you. People who live in colder climates coming to Taipei will feel warm. It's as simple as that.

You may have a point.  I was in Seoul during Christmas and when I came back to HK, I felt very warm  :lol:

Monoriu

The Taiwanese are obsessed with fried rice vermicelli.  It is said that, in the past, any would-be wife needed to prepare it for tasting by her mother-in-law as a sort of "entrance exam". 

Another local specialty that you must try is the minced fatty pork with rice, or lurou fan.  They are available everywhere. 

And pork balls!  You must try Taiwanese pork balls.  It is minced pork made into a ball shape.  The inside is hollow and is filled with all kinds of soup, sauces and ingredients.  Beware that some balls will literally explode in your mouth if you are not careful  :lol: 

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Monoriu on January 12, 2012, 09:12:27 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 12, 2012, 08:57:17 PM

You may have a point.  I was in Seoul during Christmas and when I came back to HK, I felt very warm  :lol:

When I was living in Seoul I went to Hong Kong in Jan on vacation, and got back with just a light jacket. Going back was pretty brutal.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Monoriu

You are bound to see the Chiang Kai-shek memorial hall in Taipei city centre sooner or later.  It is huge and impossible to miss.  If you go there, make sure you stay until the start of each hour.  There is an hourly changing of the guard ceremony inside the grand hall. 

Monoriu

One advantage of going in January is that it should be strawberry season (I think).  IMHO the best strawberry is Korean, followed closely by Japanese (I must have bought and eaten at least 5 or 6 boxes of strawberries when I was in Seoul).  Taiwanese is third.  They have many tourist strawberry farms that can be reached via taxi.  They let you harvest strawberries yourself.  The rule is that you may not eat the strawberries before you've paid for them.

jimmy olsen

How are the expenses? Similar to Korea?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on January 13, 2012, 02:14:06 AM
You are bound to see the Chiang Kai-shek memorial hall in Taipei city centre sooner or later.  It is huge and impossible to miss.  If you go there, make sure you stay until the start of each hour.  There is an hourly changing of the guard ceremony inside the grand hall.
I would think it would be hazardous to your health to admit you've visited Chiang Kai-shek's memorial. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on January 16, 2012, 07:17:33 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 13, 2012, 02:14:06 AM
I would think it would be hazardous to your health to admit you've visited Chiang Kai-shek's memorial. :hmm:

Why?  The communists love Chiang Kai-shek.  They celebrate if Chiang's party win the Taiwanese presidential elections, which they just did a few days ago.  The last thing Beijing wants to see is Taiwan declaring independence.  Chiang is all about reconquering the mainland and putting the Taiwan secessionists to jail. 

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 16, 2012, 07:13:17 AM

I'm not familiar with Korea.  Taipei is a lot cheaper than HK or Shanghai though. 

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Monoriu on January 16, 2012, 10:46:51 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 16, 2012, 07:13:17 AM

I'm not familiar with Korea.  Taipei is a lot cheaper than HK or Shanghai though.

So a lot cheaper than Korea.
Korea > Hong Kong > Shanghai, price wise.
How easy is travel around the island?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help