Raz History Question: Were the airborne landings in Normandy worth the cost?

Started by Razgovory, January 09, 2012, 07:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Thread title speaks for itself.  The American soldiers in particular suffered heavy casualties in this operation.  They did capture their objectives, but I wonder if the soldiers coming off the beach could have captured those objectives just as well.  The feared German counterattack didn't really manifest or at least not until much later due to the Germans being unable to use the roads and rails effectively.  It did cause confusion  among the Germans, but they were confused most of the time anyway.

What say you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Building transports to deliver airborne soldiers took valuable factory capacity away from bombers.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Pegasus bridge was worth it totally. Von Luck was counterattacking the British held bridge instead of driving on a beach.

Now Monty's faggotry in Holland was shitastic.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

They've more than paid for themselves in epic movie and video game potential.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 09, 2012, 07:50:40 PM
Pegasus bridge was worth it totally. Von Luck was counterattacking the British held bridge instead of driving on a beach.

The six bomber/glider combinations for the bridge assult took off from Tarrant Rushton airfield, just down the road from here.

Photo of the airfield on the afternoon of D-day:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205023033

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Strom Thurmond failed to get killed in the landings, so I'd say we didn't pay with enough blood. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on January 09, 2012, 08:14:15 PM
Strom Thurmond failed to get killed in the landings, so I'd say we didn't pay with enough blood. :)

Who would have his nigger babies?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2012, 07:58:22 PM

The six bomber/glider combinations for the bridge assult took off from Tarrant Rushton airfield, just down the road from here.

Good pic Mongers. A bit of history there. Is that airfield still operational? Civilian or military?

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on January 09, 2012, 08:50:44 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2012, 07:58:22 PM

Good pic Mongers. A bit of history there. Is that airfield still operational? Civilian or military?

Last time I went around it, probably half of the runways were still in place, but most of it had been turned into a large pig farm and most of the remaining hangers are light industrial units. 

They've now put a suitable memorial to the operation at the main gates.

I was at the prominent tree covered hill, Badbury Rings an iron age hill fort, on Saturday; next time I'm passing I'll endeavour to check up on the airfield.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Naturally, this question depends on how it affects Montgomery taking Caen.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 09, 2012, 07:50:40 PM

The British landings were a bit more on the ball then the American ones.  Though the US did show improvement.  The Normandy landings weren't exactly good, but they were better then the ones during Husky.  For instance, not shooting down the their own planes and gliders is a big improvement.  Also paratroopers and gliders borne soldiers are much more effective if they land on the ground rather then the ocean.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2012, 07:38:41 PM
Thread title speaks for itself.  The American soldiers in particular suffered heavy casualties in this operation.  They did capture their objectives,

You just answered your own fucking question, Eisenhower.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".