New X-COM game coming . . . and it's turn based strategy!

Started by Syt, January 05, 2012, 11:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Every arab soldier in my squads are worthless. Panicky whiny fucks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

What's really annoying is when one of my Psychic guys mind controls an alien, then the alien gets killed and the rest of team gets a morale penalty for losing a teammate.  I've heard of people having member of their team panicking after that happens and then shooting each other.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Welp, had an Arab panic, and he shoots my American elite sniper chick.

RELOAD! All Arabs get to sit in barracks now.

Grey Fox

In my game I couldnt get an american male for Seedy so I ended up renaming an Egyptian Heavy after him. Was a beast all game.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

I beat the first base, and the first mission afterwards? A horde of those Zerg like things chopping up Liverpool.

HOLY CRAP, the game decided to fuck me in the ass.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2012, 06:50:03 PM
I beat the first base, and the first mission afterwards? A horde of those Zerg like things chopping up Liverpool.

Zerg-like things. You mean Luis Suarez?

Deploy a squad of Arabs to suicide bomb the fuckers.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 04, 2012, 07:04:21 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2012, 06:50:03 PM

Zerg-like things. You mean Luis Suarez?

Deploy a squad of Arabs to suicide bomb the fuckers.  :lol:

I deployed the B team( since A team was nicked up) and they all shot like Andy Carroll.

No Arabs will be deployed on missions ever again.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2012, 07:17:03 PM

No Arabs will be deployed on missions ever again.

I enjoyed pretending they would scream ALLAHU AKBAR when faced with a Muton Berserker. ;)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

They released a DLC for this the other day.  It just adds some council missions.  Wish it did something neat like added new aliens or new types of missions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Mr. Grey

Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2012, 07:33:38 PM
They released a DLC for this the other day.  It just adds some council missions.  Wish it did something neat like added new aliens or new types of missions.

I've decided to pass on the DLC. 3 missions and a unique heavy just doesn't seem worth it.  New maps in the rotation and some new tech would have been nice.

Autokrator lives

Razgovory

Judging by achievements on Steam, the next DLCs are going to be like this as well.  Probably one for each continent.  I'll get them when they are all bundled together.  Maybe they'll release an honest to God expansion that alters game play.  Maybe making the UFO dogfights more interesting or something.

Kleves

Quote from: Razgovory on December 06, 2012, 04:22:47 PM
Judging by achievements on Steam, the next DLCs are going to be like this as well.
Really? They did a good job with the game; I kinda have a hard time they would screw up all the DLC so badly.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

There is a thing on Steam where you can see how many people achieved a certain number of achievements.  There several that nobody have gotten yet.  The ones related to the DLC were amongst those, but now several people have them.  There is an additional six that nobody have gotten yet, and they use the same art style as the DLC ones.  My guess is that these were planed at the time of release and the achievements were made before the DLCs were finished.

Syt

The Second Wave patch is out today, maing the stuff modders unlocked official, and patching it properly.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/08/solomon-vows-firaxis-on-xcoms-second-wave-add-on/

QuoteHere are those details of the Second Wave DLC, that should have patched into your Steam version by now.

- Damage Roulette: Weapons have a wider range of damage.
- New Economy: Randomized council member funding.
- Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.
- Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, stats increase randomly.
- Red Fog: Combat wounds will degrade the soldier's mission stats.
- Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit.
- The Greater Good: Psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien.
- Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete.
- Results Driven: A country offers less funding as its panic level increases.
- High Stakes: Random rewards for stopping alien abductions.
- Diminishing Returns: Increased cost of satellite construction.
- More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.

And once you've completed the game on Impossible difficulty (which seems something of a contradiction):
- War Weariness: Funding goes down over time.
- E-115: Elerium degrades over time.
- Total Loss: Lose all soldier gear upon death.
- Alternate Sources: The power source cost to build facilities increases dramatically.

I lost my savegames when my old computer's HD died (seems cloud saves were off by default :( ), so this is as good an excuse as any to restart. :)

The link above has an interview - funniest bits:

QuoteRPS: Is there anything that alters the fixed hit chance thing? The way the game seems to pre-determine some outcomes and keep them even if you reload?

Jake Solomon: Oh, that's a good point. I probably should have done that, actually. Sorry. I think Civ includes an option, don't they, where basically you can either have things be synchronised where every single time, even if you reload, the same thing happens, or it's random. I could probably have made an option where the results weren't synchronised. [Sighs]. That's a good idea. I didn't do that. I'm sorry.

[...]

when I was doing press before the game came out, it was this big thing that the maps were pre-made, but don't worry, you can play through the game twice and you probably won't see the same map. But in hindsight that's not very helpful, because we didn't realise people were going to play the game that much. A lot of people have played it four times, or five times, or they'll start it over and over because they're playing Iron Man.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Pedrito

Okay, I bought this game during Steam's Christmas sale, and it's a blast. SOme questions, though:

Anyone here experienced glitches in his saves after the patch? I am SURE one of the rookies got promoted to sniper class ("Mono" Wang, China), and he was the only replacement to my main sniper, but after the patch he (for sure) and (probably) some other rookies/squaddies disappeared, WTF??

[spoiler]I've built the key to the alien base, question: is it an early-to-mid-game mission? because my team is still rather behind in development, should I wait some more to attack the base?[/spoiler]

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: