New X-COM game coming . . . and it's turn based strategy!

Started by Syt, January 05, 2012, 11:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Grey

The screenshots look great!

Research was one of the best parts of the game.
Autokrator lives

KRonn

Quote from: Mr. Grey on January 11, 2012, 12:34:16 PM
The screenshots look great!

Research was one of the best parts of the game.
Yeah, I liked research. I also liked building bases, though I think the game had a glitch and very rarely did your bases get attacked. I had one attack on a base that I can recall; I think not many or any more than that. It was a pretty cool situation though.

Tonitrus

Link to page showing a video on the art design, plus some more screenshots....

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/11/the-art-of-xcom-enemy-unknown.aspx

...the video also shows how the Skyranger/Interceptor look.

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2012, 08:46:35 AM
I like the aliens at the bottom of the bottom screenshot, with the elephant necks and the rubbery limbs.  The blue outfits have to go, though.

Firaxis is certainly saying all the right things, as far as I am concerned.  And it's about time they did something other than polish the turd that is Civ III+

Hah, I thought the "suits" were just placeholders in an early alpha or some such...turns out from the latest article on gameinformer.com, that they're a new enemy (the Thin Man, meant to be some kind of infiltrators).

The odd looking alien from the gas station pic above seems to be a Cyberdisc after it has "deployed" for attack.  (and you can see an undeployed one just above it).

The other "big dude" in the other pics is the Muton.

Razgovory

I figured the guys in suits were some sort of Men In Black types.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

The latest update had an 18min video interview with one of the developers.  Besides discussion of the basic game concepts (basically making the new game to work like the old game), the only tidbit of changes from the original is that sometimes the funding nations might give you task/make requests during a given month, instead of just adjusting their contributions at the end of the month.

Tonitrus

From today's update, a nice overview of tactical combat (including lots of screenshots).

Optimism = growing.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/26/advanced-tactics-exploring-xcom-39-s-combat-part-1.aspx

Razgovory

Firaxis is a good developer.  I've never bought a game from them that I thought was really bad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on January 26, 2012, 11:31:22 PM
Firaxis is a good developer.  I've never bought a game from them that I thought was really bad.
Didn't buy the colonization remake it I guess then?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on January 27, 2012, 04:23:33 AM

I hadn't either, as I figured it was really just a glorified Civ IV mod.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 27, 2012, 07:17:36 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 27, 2012, 04:23:33 AM

I hadn't either, as I figured it was really just a glorified Civ IV mod.

It was a non-glorified one.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

I never bought it but I can recall briefly playing it (A  demo maybe? Can't remember).
It sucked big style.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus