News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gotcha!

Started by Razgovory, January 03, 2012, 03:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

They should see which the monkeys would choose if presented loaded handguns and live babies.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ideologue on January 04, 2012, 05:23:59 PM
OMG OMG Gavin Bowd's translation of La carte et le territoire is already out OMG my pants are a depression factory!
:lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on January 04, 2012, 08:23:39 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 04, 2012, 01:19:55 AM
he did say he was the least intelligent person on this board, bar martinus (which i have doubts of, but that's another argument). that is quite a strong statement, and when we've quality posters such as yis around, it makes one wonder

Just found this thread, which is a hoot.  I must admit I don't recall saying that anyone was the "least intelligent person on this board," and the search function has no capability to find a post with me saying this, either.  Got some context?

I am a believer in the old Confucian idea:
"Tzu King asked: 'What would you say of the man who is liked by all his fellow townsmen?' 'That is not sufficient', was the reply. "What is better is that the good among his fellow townsmen like him, and the bad hate him.'"

The responses in this thread assure me that I am following that principal.  :D

it was some time ago. "least intelligent person on this board" might be a exaggeration. the reference is when raz said he knew that he was more intelligent than martinus, and that he claimed to be one of the more dimwitted members of this board. i always thought it odd, since martinus at least shows himself capable of achieving success in his country (in before: lol poland!11), and thus pays taxes and helps contribute. raz likes to make comments that suggest he's worth more than marty, yet... he also admits he's a shut-in who accepts government funding.

which is it? is he someone who adds to society with high paying employment that is taxed for the betterment of society, or does he take government money due to his mental disability and lack of employment? it's one of those inconsistencies that i find odd no one has referenced. maybe it's just me. ideologue is absolutely correct with his post. there are times where it seems to this lurker that raz holds personal grudges against certain members, and makes comments that are inconsistent with reality

edit: maybe this is harsh, but people rip on posters all the time here :shrug:

Eddie Teach

LaCroix's "logic" continues to impress.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on January 04, 2012, 05:23:59 PM
OMG OMG Gavin Bowd's translation of La carte et le territoire is already out OMG my pants are a depression factory!

:lol: 

I just traded cash for Amazon credit to order it.   :ph34r:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

YES.

This one doesn't seem to have any sci-fi elements.  But neither did Platform (though I've argued it met the criteria for speculative fiction, in a broad sense, asking "What if travel companies just straight up organized Bangkok fuckfests?", the answer being "Muslims will blow it up, but you will die alone").  The best parts of Houellebecq novels are the ones where he just ramblingly talks a bunch of shit only tangentially related to the plot about women getting fat and sexless and capitalism being bad, anyway.  And no doubt there will be that.

I'm extra-excited to get it because Gavin Bowd translated Possibility of an Island.  A lot of stupid snobby jerks said it was too blunt and mean sapped the original French of its beauty and/or poetry.  Seriously, these dorks just don't get it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

You should read Céline, Ide.  Houellebecq (like Bukowski, Henry Miller, and many others) owes a huge debt to his work.  His first two novels "Voyage au bout de la nuit" and "Mort au credit" are completely hateful and hilarious, revolutionary at the time (early 30s), and cheap paperbacks by now.  The post-liberation Céline is an acquired taste, but I'm a fan.

And they are finally translating his rabidly anti-Semitic tracts (complete with dance choreography) from the mid-late 30s into English.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

QuoteDue to copyright restrictions, the Kindle title you're trying to purchase is not available in your country: United States.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT.

Oh, I understand.  I have to update my address.

1455 De Maisonneuve Blvd. W.
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
H3G 1M8

I'm proud of my university.  Concordia salus!

...Ok, maybe I ought not. -_-
Kinemalogue

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I might just buy the dumb dead tree book and get the free shipping with the Gamera Hisei series now on Blu-Ray.  They're two great tastes that go great together!

Quote from: MihaliYou should read Céline, Ide.  Houellebecq (like Bukowski, Henry Miller, and many others) owes a huge debt to his work.  His first two novels "Voyage au bout de la nuit" and "Mort au credit" are completely hateful and hilarious, revolutionary at the time (early 30s), and cheap paperbacks by now.  The post-liberation Céline is an acquired taste, but I'm a fan.

I do like things that are hateful. :hmm:
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on January 05, 2012, 12:36:31 AM
Quote from: grumbler on January 04, 2012, 08:23:39 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 04, 2012, 01:19:55 AM
he did say he was the least intelligent person on this board, bar martinus (which i have doubts of, but that's another argument). that is quite a strong statement, and when we've quality posters such as yis around, it makes one wonder

Just found this thread, which is a hoot.  I must admit I don't recall saying that anyone was the "least intelligent person on this board," and the search function has no capability to find a post with me saying this, either.  Got some context?

I am a believer in the old Confucian idea:
"Tzu King asked: 'What would you say of the man who is liked by all his fellow townsmen?' 'That is not sufficient', was the reply. "What is better is that the good among his fellow townsmen like him, and the bad hate him.'"

The responses in this thread assure me that I am following that principal.  :D

it was some time ago. "least intelligent person on this board" might be a exaggeration. the reference is when raz said he knew that he was more intelligent than martinus, and that he claimed to be one of the more dimwitted members of this board. i always thought it odd, since martinus at least shows himself capable of achieving success in his country (in before: lol poland!11), and thus pays taxes and helps contribute. raz likes to make comments that suggest he's worth more than marty, yet... he also admits he's a shut-in who accepts government funding.

which is it? is he someone who adds to society with high paying employment that is taxed for the betterment of society, or does he take government money due to his mental disability and lack of employment? it's one of those inconsistencies that i find odd no one has referenced. maybe it's just me. ideologue is absolutely correct with his post. there are times where it seems to this lurker that raz holds personal grudges against certain members, and makes comments that are inconsistent with reality

edit: maybe this is harsh, but people rip on posters all the time here :shrug:

It's a bit late and I'm kinda sleepy, but I should point out that me being smarter then Marty does not make me "worth more".  I have no idea how much Marty is worth, or myself for that matter.  I don't even know how to go about figuring that. I always assume that if I knows something everyone else knows it, and why shouldn't they?  I do assume that most people are smarter then me, I barely graduated from highschool after all. The only person here who consistently impresses me with their stupidity is Marty.  He claims to be a lawyer but demonstrates a dismal understanding of law.  I'm by no means the only one who questions the reality of his occupation.   In truth, I know he's probably telling the truth, but it's fun to make fun of him.  And Marty is very easy target and I am very lazy.  I do not hold a grudge against him, but he does sometimes annoy me his shallowness, superficiality and stupidity.

If you are looking for someone that I hold a grudge against look no further then the vile bigot Grallon. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Making money is not in itself a sign of high intelligence.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 04, 2012, 08:31:01 PM
Here you go. There's a video after the link.

Meh. I do think there is a biological tendency, but I do not think that studies with monkeys are going to prove it. Monkeys and humans are simply too different for comparisons to make much sense.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 04, 2012, 05:45:35 PM
Perhaps I come from a family of strange genes then. My siblings and I always had a hodge-podge across the spectrum. As far as I know, my sisters watched Thomas the Tank Engine just as much as myself.

How is that strange?  Individuals tend to do that: be hodge-podge across the spectrum.  That is exactly what I was saying.  I was only commenting on how people are really comes out early.  Tons of girls have enjoyed stuff intended for boys and vice versa.  I think I specifically mentioned as that being one of the key pieces that makes me confident my opinion on this subject is correct.  After all if people did have their traits put on them by society both you and your sisters should have conformed no?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."