NFL Playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs!?!

Started by CountDeMoney, January 02, 2012, 06:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on January 02, 2012, 07:46:41 PM
I thought Norv's position wasn't decided yet?

The Chargers really have to stop with hiring coaches the Redskins fired.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: sbr on January 02, 2012, 07:25:33 PM
And Norv Turner still has a job. :rolleyes:
But he finished so strong!  Surely he couldn't possibly repeat the unmotivated, soft, no-heart start and wasting of enormous amounts of talent that have dogged him just about every year of his coaching career?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

If the Chargers can fire a 14-2 coach, they can keep Norv.  They deserve the fate they get.

sbr

Quote from: Neil on January 02, 2012, 07:54:15 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 02, 2012, 07:25:33 PM
And Norv Turner still has a job. :rolleyes:
But he finished so strong!  Surely he couldn't possibly repeat the unmotivated, soft, no-heart start and wasting of enormous amounts of talent that have dogged him just about every year of his coaching career?

Losing their first playoff game with the most talented roster in the league was one thing.  Missing the playoffs in a year when a below average team with a historically bad QB wins the AFC West is another thing.

derspiess

If the Bengals lose at Houston, it won't be for a lack of motivation.

I stood in the back of the locker room after Sunday's game to hear what Marvin had to to say.  He started out with his usual post-loss spiel about removing your head from your ass, only intending to play the players who "really wanted to play", etc. but then seemlessly transitioned into congratulating them for making the playoffs and on the season as a whole.  The overall mood in the office was celebratory-- I had a couple coaches even come by & thank me for my "efforts" (which for most of the season consisted of labeling video prints & stuffing them in binders).

Anyway, my main takeaway was that the players were really stoked about getting another shot at Houston, given how their regular season game went.  Just wish I could get my project at work postponed so I could make the trip.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Neil

So, the Chargers have confirmed that the same choke artists will be retained at GM and head coach.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

So Forbes wrote this article about Daniel Snyder: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2012/01/02/the-seven-habits-of-spectacularly-unsuccessful-executives/

I did appreciate how they tried to pretend it was about other executives.

1) They see themselves and their companies as dominating their environment
2) They identify so completely with the company that there is no clear boundary between their personal interests and their corporation's interests
3) They think they have all the answers
4) They ruthlessly eliminate anyone who isn't completely behind them
5) They are consummate spokespersons, obsessed with the company image
6) They underestimate obstacles
7) They stubbornly rely on what worked for them in the past
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2012, 09:57:55 AM
So Forbes wrote this article about Daniel Snyder: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2012/01/02/the-seven-habits-of-spectacularly-unsuccessful-executives/

I did appreciate how they tried to pretend it was about other executives.

1) They see themselves and their companies as dominating their environment
2) They identify so completely with the company that there is no clear boundary between their personal interests and their corporation's interests
3) They think they have all the answers
4) They ruthlessly eliminate anyone who isn't completely behind them
5) They are consummate spokespersons, obsessed with the company image
6) They underestimate obstacles
7) They stubbornly rely on what worked for them in the past

In the context of owning the Redskins, what has ever worked for Snyder in the past?

Valmy

Quote from: dps on January 04, 2012, 12:13:24 PM
In the context of owning the Redskins, what has ever worked for Snyder in the past?

His business model for one: just keep charging more.  As for his football "management" he keeps trying to recreate what George Allen and Bobby Beathard did to create the teams he grew up rooting for in the 70s and 80s.  Because the league has not changed at all since then...

dps

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2012, 12:19:50 PM
Quote from: dps on January 04, 2012, 12:13:24 PM

His business model for one: just keep charging more.  As for his football "management" he keeps trying to recreate what George Allen and Bobby Beathard did to create the teams he grew up rooting for in the 70s and 80s.  Because the league has not changed at all since then...

Well, there's a difference between bringing in a lot of tough-minded veterans and a bunch of veteran whiners.

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 02, 2012, 08:42:41 PM
If the Chargers can fire a 14-2 coach, they can keep Norv.  They deserve the fate they get.
QFT.  Marty wuz robbed.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on January 04, 2012, 01:04:10 PM
Well, there's a difference between bringing in a lot of tough-minded veterans and a bunch of veteran whiners.

The biggest difference is no salary cap back then, and an owner who enjoyed losing money on his hobby.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2012, 01:30:31 PM
The biggest difference is no salary cap back then, and an owner who enjoyed losing money on his hobby.

Yep.   No way Allen or Beathard would try to do what they did today.  And naturally Snyder lacks the eye for talent and character those two guys had.