EGYPT orders all PIGS be put to the SWORD

Started by Syt, April 30, 2009, 11:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 30, 2009, 11:42:28 AM
We should really start referring to this flu has the Mexican flu.

It's being referred to as 2009 H1N1.  Poor pigs, though.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 01, 2009, 02:56:51 AM
Want to bet that they won't get that subsidy?
This is starting to sound like a "lets harass the christians" measure.
Simple math: no pigs in the country. I for one applaud their efforts to revive the global export economy.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 30, 2009, 08:57:47 PM

They do it because it works. Geez, I thought Neil was supposed to be the one who was trolling there. <_<

Thing is it doesn't work.  It has proven terribly ineffective.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on May 01, 2009, 10:11:13 AM
Thing is it doesn't work.  It has proven terribly ineffective.
Short-sighted tactics for short-sighted goals. They tend to get exactly what they plan for; it's their inability to plan for the long term that gets them right back to square one.

They're decent at talking up the public just enough to get a fresh influx of supporters willing to pick up a rifle, but they don't plan for standards of living, economic compatibility, or other long-term commitments that would lend credence on the international stage.
Experience bij!

KRonn

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/05/14/1931519.aspx

Americans make difference for poor Egyptian family

CAIRO – The aisles were empty in Country Homes Furniture in Wilbraham, Mass., and owners Hazel and Nazih Zebian were sitting in their office doing what they described as the "usual whining and complaining" about how bad business had become and questioning how much longer they could last.

"Like so many people in these economic conditions, furniture has been hit hard," Hazel said. "It's the last thing people want to buy."

Out of boredom, she began to surf the Internet and came across a story on msnbc.com about another man half a world away facing hard times: Abu Sayed in Cairo.

We reported on how Sayed had just lost his small herd of pigs, the only source of income for his extended family of 14. The Egyptian government began culling all pigs in a misguided attempt to prevent swine flu. But pig farmers, most of them living below the poverty line, lost everything when police seized their swine herds without any compensation.

Sayed was no exception. He was beaten by police when he asked what would happen to his herd.  He had no idea how he could continue to feed his own children or help provide for his brothers and sister. 

But after reading Sayed's story, Hazel silently calculated how much it would cost to replace the 25 pigs.

"I read it to my husband and as I started reading it, multiplied in my head and all it amounted to was $1,125.  I said, 'I wish we could give that to him ourselves.' And he said, 'If that's what you want to do, just go ahead and do it.'" 

Soon after, I received the following email from the Zebians: "I would like to know if there is any way possible I can make a financial contribution to this man and his family... I want someone to physically hand him the money on behalf of myself and my family so that he does not go without the income his pigs would have brought in for him."

A few days later, after a flurry of e-mails and a trip to Western Union, the grateful Egyptian family was given a fresh start.

"I was astounded when I found out there are people who care and are still good," Sayed said.  "They are good people. Human beings should support one another and they are a good example of that." 

Sayed plans to buy a flock of sheep with the money to replace his herd of pigs. "God willing, this will replace what I have lost."

He and Nazih, a Lebanese-American, spoke briefly by phone. "I thanked him and expressed my appreciation," Sayed said. "Nazih is a respectable person and he wished me luck." Nazih said he hopes to come to Egypt and meet him in person.

By giving Sayed a second chance, the Zebians gained a fresh outlook on their own struggling business.

"After reading the article, we just thought, 'What are we complaining about?' and felt really good after doing it," said Hazel. "We will never forget." 

Valmy

Quote from: saskganesh on April 30, 2009, 03:36:58 PM
well, when England had the BSE epidemic they slaughtered 4.4 million cattle. just some perspective.

The perspective being that you could actually get Mad Cow by eating cattle and you cannot get Swine Flu through pigs since it is a mutation that came from Mexico that is now a human flu?  Wahoo lets kill animals because of a name of a flu!

Because I don't see how that changes my perspective much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 30, 2009, 08:57:47 PM
They do it because it works. Geez, I thought Neil was supposed to be the one who was trolling there. <_<

Yeah it is turning the Middle East into a fucking paradise.  We should all do terrorism.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Viking

well, when England had the BSE epidemic they slaughtered 4.4 million cattle. just some perspective.

BSE was food safety and more importantly veterinary rights for export.

The pigs in egypt are glorified garbage disposals.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on May 14, 2009, 09:37:37 AM

The poor Copts.  You do know there are like 20 times more Egyptian Christians than there are Icelanders right?

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2009, 09:51:26 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 14, 2009, 09:37:37 AM

The poor Copts.  You do know there are like 20 times more Egyptian Christians than there are Icelanders right?

Yes, and? I was comparing the pigs to british cattle.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on May 14, 2009, 10:59:42 AM
Yes, and? I was comparing the pigs to british cattle.
Read your post again.  What you were comparing was pigs and BSE, and that comparison made no sense.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

saskganesh

my original motivation for posting the Mad Cow cull was to highlight that the British are just as savage as the moon worshippers. the BSE cull went far far beyond what was likely necessary, hundreds of thousands of healthy cattle were culled. part of the problem is that diagnosis of BSE and it's causes still isn't satisfactorily settled. so culling herds en masse was a very rough blade to use.

I think we are in a similar situation with swine flu (or avian-swine-human flu). it's origins are still being debated, so dealing with the transmission of it is something we have to make up as we go along.
humans were created in their own image

Valmy

Quote from: saskganesh on May 14, 2009, 01:12:43 PM
my original motivation for posting the Mad Cow cull was to highlight that the British are just as savage as the moon worshippers.

Ok then.  I am sure if we had posted about the Mad Cow cull back in 1996 or whenever people would have thought that was stupid as well.   However Mad Cow was at least pretty severe in the UK Sask.  It would only be sorta similar to Japan having an outbreak of Mad Cow disease and THEN the UK slaughtered every cow in the country without any evidence there existed any Mad Cow at all among their herds.  Egypt is not even seriously suffering from Swine Flu for fucks sake. 

And I just thought Egypt is being moronic I did not mean to offend anybody's beloved Muslims by implying they were flawed in anyway.

QuoteI think we are in a similar situation with swine flu (or avian-swine-human flu). it's origins are still being debated, so dealing with the transmission of it is something we have to make up as we go along.

Well people are done fretting about it over here.  The flu has proven to be pretty harmless.  And we border Mexico.

garbon

Yes, I thought my father was rather stupid in '96 when he forbid my family from eating beef.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

saskganesh

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2009, 01:19:00 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on May 14, 2009, 01:12:43 PM
my original motivation for posting the Mad Cow cull was to highlight that the British are just as savage as the moon worshippers.

Ok then.  I am sure if we had posted about the Mad Cow cull back in 1996 or whenever people would have thought that was stupid as well.   However Mad Cow was at least pretty severe in the UK Sask.  It would only be sorta similar to Japan having an outbreak of Mad Cow disease and THEN the UK slaughtered every cow in the country without any evidence there existed any Mad Cow at all among their herds.  Egypt is not even seriously suffering from Swine Flu for fucks sake. 

And I just thought Egypt is being moronic I did not mean to offend anybody's beloved Muslims by implying they were flawed in anyway.

QuoteI think we are in a similar situation with swine flu (or avian-swine-human flu). it's origins are still being debated, so dealing with the transmission of it is something we have to make up as we go along.

Well people are done fretting about it over here.  The flu has proven to be pretty harmless.  And we border Mexico.

ok, sure. I agree that Egypt was being moronic (not in doubt) and yes, England had a BSE issue. I do think the UK reaction to BSE was not completely rational, and based on fear, much like the Egyptians, as it was over and above what was necessary. hell, we are culling pigs in Canada now.

consumer confidence is a vicious thing. if the public does not trust your product, you'll be paying the price for a very long time. does a massive cull restore trust? or does it forever damage your brand? is perceived swift action enough? or will the public demand even more accountability?

hmm. does the US consumer really want to know more about what's going on in La Goria where this virus apparently started? or is it just an opportunity to laugh at stupid brown people one more fucking time?
humans were created in their own image