News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Estate Agent Help

Started by Sheilbh, May 13, 2009, 12:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Starting to look for a place in London for myself and some friends.

What does 'must see' mean?  I can't tell if it's positive or negative.

Do any of you know any good sites (I know prime location, findaproperty and nestoria)?
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

"Must see" means that it is better than it sounds/looks from the outside, so you should make a personal visit to the property rather than dismissing it out of hand.

Malthus

Basically, all real estate jargon is used to mislead. You won't go too far wrong if you assume that every description of a property is used to turn what is otherwise a bad point into a good one ...

"Lively neighbourhood" = the place is in the sort of slum that requires bodyguards to even visit;

"Shows to perfection" = they painted over the rotting bits, and are hoping that the place doesn't actually fall apart before it is sold;

"Original charm" = don't even think about this one.  :lol:

Oh I had such adventures house-hunting - we used to give the particularly memorable ones nick-names. There was "Subway house" - the subway ran directly underneath it, and rattled stuff on the tables on the *second* floor; there was "cigarette house" - a woman apparently mummified herself (and the house) with nicotine fumes; there was the "Cliff Dwelling" - the backyard was set atop a 50' cliff, and the garage was in the process of slipping over it ... held up by a couple of cinder blocks wedged underneath ...

All of these places look amazing in the ads.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

Malthus found that his house had "charming wallpaper."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Quote from: PDH on May 13, 2009, 10:09:37 AM
Malthus found that his house had "charming wallpaper."

Charmed with a -2 curse of unremovability.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on May 13, 2009, 08:58:20 AM
Basically, all real estate jargon is used to mislead. You won't go too far wrong if you assume that every description of a property is used to turn what is otherwise a bad point into a good one ...

It's like the ads for hotels in brochures.

"Rich and exotic food!" - Hell, even we don't know what it is!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

I used findaproperty, then once an estate agent has your details you can sit back as they bug you incessantly with a constant stream of unsuitable crack dens.

Avoid any which say "Ideal for DIY enthusiast".

Malthus

Quote from: Brazen on May 13, 2009, 10:57:12 AM
I used findaproperty, then once an estate agent has your details you can sit back as they bug you incessantly with a constant stream of unsuitable crack dens.

Avoid any which say "Ideal for DIY enthusiast".

Usually combined with "original charm".  :D

Caliga

Avoid "stigmatized properties". :smarty:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Avoid such terms as "cursed" or "hell-hole."  If that is the best they can do, I would suspect them of hiding something.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Monoriu

"Car park given for free" = You have to buy the car park along with the property, or the seller won't sell

Monoriu

I don't have much luck when it comes to estate agents.  Before I got married, I checked out different properties by myself.  Those times were very tough for estate agents, and a buyer's heaven.  The economy was in tatters, and unemployment shot up 4 times.  Agents were fired in droves, and some of the biggest real estate agent firms began to fail.  But somehow, for reasons that I do not comprehend, I always ended up being shunned by them. 

"What's your job, sir?"
"Office assistant."
"...Err.  You know what.  I have to go.  Take your time."

"Where do you live?"
"[Name of some red light district - a lie.]"
"Don't think there is anything I have that's suitable for you.  Sorry.  Try somewhere else."

"What's your mobile number?"
"Don't have one (true). Can't afford it (false)."
"Fuck you."

Thing is, I was really looking for a place to buy and I could afford it.  It was a buyer's market and I managed to fail to find an agent who was willing to do business with me.

It was not until my wife accompanied me that I got anywhere.  The agent took us out to see the property that we were interested in.  It was obvious that she thought we were a waste of her time, but she just wanted to have a walk outside rather than sit in the office all day with nothing to do. We probably looked too young (we were 27 then), or dressed too sloppily or what.  During the trip she just stared into the eternal void instead of look at her customers.  Then my wife managed to insert the phrase that both of us were civil servants into the conversation. 

The agent's eyes literally glowed and widened at that point.  A few hours later her branch manager called us and said he would personally take over the case from her inexperienced colleague. 

HVC

Quote from: Monoriu on May 14, 2009, 10:22:44 PM
I don't have much luck when it comes to estate agents...I always ended up being shunned by them. 
Cause they work on commisions and you're the type that would waste their time in greater proportion then the commision they'd make, because  they couldn't get other customers while you hagled over price reductions :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Also is the price per week/ per month for the entire house/flat or for each room? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!