News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Biohacking

Started by jimmy olsen, May 13, 2009, 02:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I don't like the idea of just anyone being able to homebrew a bacteria in their garage. It only takes one wackjob with some talent to screw the whole world over.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124207326903607931.html
    * MAY 12, 2009

In Attics and Closets, 'Biohackers' Discover Their Inner Frankenstein
Using Mail-Order DNA and Iguana Heaters, Hobbyists Brew New Life Forms; Is It Risky?

By JEANNE WHALEN

In Massachusetts, a young woman makes genetically modified E. coli in a closet she converted into a home lab. A part-time DJ in Berkeley, Calif., works in his attic to cultivate viruses extracted from sewage. In Seattle, a grad-school dropout wants to breed algae in a personal biology lab.

These hobbyists represent a growing strain of geekdom known as biohacking, in which do-it-yourselfers tinker with the building blocks of life in the comfort of their own homes. Some of them buy DNA online, then fiddle with it in hopes of curing diseases or finding new biofuels.
[Katherine's Aull's closet laboratory in her apartment.] Katherine Aull

Katherine's Aull's closet laboratory in her apartment.

But are biohackers a threat to national security?

That was the question lurking behind a phone call that Katherine Aull got earlier this year. Ms. Aull, 23 years old, is designing a customized E. coli in the closet of her Cambridge, Mass., apartment, hoping to help with cancer research.

She's got a DNA "thermocycler" bought on eBay for $59, and an incubator made by combining a styrofoam box with a heating device meant for an iguana cage. A few months ago, she talked about her hobby on DIY Bio, a Web site frequented by biohackers, and her work was noted in New Scientist magazine.

That's when the phone rang. A man saying he was doing research for the U.S. government called with a few polite, pointed questions: How did she build that lab? Did she know other people creating new life forms at home?

The caller said the agency he represented is "used to thinking about rogue states and threats from that," recalls Ms. Aull, a recent Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduate.

The man on the other end of the line was Nils Gilman, a researcher with Monitor 360, a San Francisco company that provides "geo-strategic" research. Mr. Gilman declined to identify his client, saying only that it's a branch of the U.S. government involved in biosecurity. "I think they want to know, is this something we need to worry about?" he said -- particularly, could the biohackers' gadgets and methods, in the wrong hands, create dangerous pathogens?

Mr. Gilman's claim that he is working for the U.S. government couldn't be verified. A Department of Homeland Security official said "it does not appear that we contract with Monitor 360." A spokesman for the Federal Bureau of Investigation declined to comment, and a Department of Defense official said he couldn't find any record of the department hiring Monitor 360 or its parent company, Monitor Group. But he said another arm of Monitor Group has done work for the department in recent years.
Try This at Home

Below, some of the experiments people are trying at home.

* Glow, Melamine

In her dining room lab, Meredith L. Patterson is trying to develop a bacteria that will glow green to signal the presence of melamine; read more .

* Strawberries' DNA

This home experiment for extracting DNA from strawberries uses a zip-lock bag, a glass, detergent and some strawberries; watch video .

* Lab in the Closet

Read more about Katherine Aull's experiment in her closet lab here .

* Sharing Resources

DIYbio Group co-founder Mackenzie Cowell explains some of the initiatives, and the community lab the group is setting up in Cambridge, Mass.; watch video .

Previously, some researchers and law-enforcement officials have raised red flags. In a paper published in Nature Biotechnology in 2007, a group of scientists and FBI officials called for better oversight of so-called synthetic DNA, an ingredient widely used by professional biologists and hobbyists, saying it could theoretically lead to the creation of harmful viruses like Ebola or smallpox, since their genomes are available online. "Current government oversight of the DNA-synthesis industry falls short of addressing this unfortunate reality," the paper said.

Ms. Aull, who lives with a cat and three roommates who are "a little bit weirded out" by her experiments, says the worries are overblown. DIY biologists are trying to "build a slingshot," she says, "and there are people out there talking about, oh, no, what happens if they move on to nuclear weapons?"

Other biohackers argue that Mother Nature is more likely than any home hobbyist to create dangerous new pathogens. They cite the current A/H1N1 "swine flu" virus, which is a made-in-the-wild brew of human, bird and pig influenzas. Mackenzie Cowell, a founder of DIY Bio, says members aim to do good and are committed to working safely.

The movement has made big strides recently thanks to the commercial availability of synthetic DNA. This genetic material, normally found inside the nucleus of cells, can now easily be purchased online. That provides any amateur with the ingredients for constructing an organism.

Dan Heidel, a 32-year-old aerospace employee and former molecular biology student in Seattle, has rented a 300-square-foot space in an old warehouse to make genetically modified algae that he thinks might be useful in producing cheap biofuels. The space is stuffed with $20,000 worth of secondhand lab equipment he bought on eBay, including, he says, centrifuges, a liquid-nitrogen storage unit and "a bunch of stuff for water purification."

"It's frankly a run-down, piece-of-crap warehouse, half falling apart," says Mr. Heidel. But "the landlord basically stays out of everyone's hair as long as they don't burn the building down, which is really pretty ideal."
[DNA Strand]

DNA

The easy availability of synthetic DNA is at the heart of some scientists' concerns. The National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity, a government body, has recommended that companies selling DNA be required to screen all orders for signs that the buyers might have nefarious intent. Some biologists argue that anyone wishing to custom-make new organisms, even if it's just glow-in-the-dark bacteria (a popular trick among biohackers), should have to get a license first.

Currently, regulation of labs like these is murky. It's unclear what agency, if any, is responsible.

So far, most garage biologists playing around with synthetic DNA are simply adding a gene or two to an existing organism, a fairly standard scientific practice involving some test-tube mixing, and not something biosecurity experts are very worried about. But technology promises to allow the creation of entire organisms from scratch -- something academics are aiming to do in university labs -- and that has some experts worried.

A senior official in the FBI's Weapons of Mass Destruction Directorate says the bureau is working with academia and industry to raise awareness about biosecurity, "particularly in light of the expansion of affordable molecular biology equipment" and genetic databases.

George Church, a professor of genetics at Harvard Medical School, says anyone using synthetic DNA should have to have a license, including garage biologists. But he says he's not too concerned by the current home hobbyists. "The younger generation need something they feel they can do, in the same sense that my generation was inspired by NASA and home chemistry kits," he said.

Phil Holtzman, a college student and part-time DJ at dance parties in Berkeley, Calif., is growing viruses in his attic that he thinks could be useful in medicine someday. Using pipettes and other equipment borrowed from his community college, he extracts viruses called bacteriophage from sewage and grows them in petri dishes. Mr. Holtzman's goal: Breed them to survive the high temperatures of the human body, where he thinks they might be useful in killing bad bacteria.

He collects partly treated sewage water from a network of underground tunnels in the Berkeley area, jumping a chain-link fence to get to the source. But Mr. Holtzman says his roommates are "really uncomfortable" with him working with sewage water, so he's trying to find another source of bacteriophage.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Wow, that sounds like a fun hobby. *googles to get started*  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

They seem to be slow to the punch. I know I read an article just like this out of one of the major media sources a few months ago.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Can we please first deal with real threats like cosplayers?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

Can somebody explain to me in ENGLISH what is this about?

Are they making bioweapons?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 13, 2009, 02:13:05 PM
I don't like the idea of just anyone being able to homebrew a bacteria in their garage. It only takes one wackjob with some talent to screw the whole world over.
You can't screw the whole world over with this sort of nonsense.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Siege on May 13, 2009, 05:41:25 PM

No, they're just swabbing stuff around in petri dishes. Somebody has watched a little too much "I am Legend" and "28 Days Later."
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on May 13, 2009, 02:15:22 PM

Hear Hear
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 13, 2009, 06:35:43 PM

Hear Hear

Especially the fat ones dressed as Japansese schoolgirls.  Raz eyes hurt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2009, 06:43:50 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 13, 2009, 06:35:43 PM

Hear Hear

Especially the fat ones dressed as Japansese schoolgirls.  Raz eyes hurt.
When I went to Otakon many years ago it was the 300 pound girl in a spandex rabbit suit thta was awful.
PDH!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 14, 2009, 08:58:31 AM
When I went to Otakon many years ago it was the 300 pound girl in a spandex rabbit suit thta was awful.

Probably part of the Jersey contingent. I remember going back in high school and weeping that the anime-obsessed chicks from just about every other state were hotter. :weep:
Experience bij!

dps

Quote from: Siege on May 13, 2009, 05:41:25 PM

It's about amateur scientists, you retard.