Main Menu

China tests 300 mph train.

Started by jimmy olsen, December 26, 2011, 10:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 28, 2011, 04:53:18 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 28, 2011, 02:15:00 PM
Lets get back to talking about trains.

I think model railroaders are a bit weird. Especially those N scale fucks.

HO HO OO , Money won't fall for that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

When I travel back to my hometown from where I live now, it's probably about 5 hours total for a flight and about 7 hours total by train - door-to-door. The train never costs me more than 67 Euro oneway, even if I stop halfway inbetween at friends or relatives and go on the next day. I can book the train just before I board it, if necessary via smartphone. Or I pay on the train, which adds 5 Euro or so. Flights can be a bit cheaper (20-25%), but you have to plan months ahead and they often leave at strange times whereas the trains leave every hour.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Zanza on December 28, 2011, 05:06:39 PM
When I travel back to my hometown from where I live now, it's probably about 5 hours total for a flight and about 7 hours total by train - door-to-door. The train never costs me more than 67 Euro oneway, even if I stop halfway inbetween at friends or relatives and go on the next day. I can book the train just before I board it, if necessary via smartphone. Or I pay on the train, which adds 5 Euro or so. Flights can be a bit cheaper (20-25%), but you have to plan months ahead and they often leave at strange times whereas the trains leave every hour.

Sounds very nice. Every hour between cities? Even I wouldn't mind doing that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

QuoteSupposedly we don't have to worry about that now that pilots are safely locked away.
Which has spoiled air travel for a generation of kids :(
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on December 29, 2011, 02:24:04 AM
QuoteSupposedly we don't have to worry about that now that pilots are safely locked away.
Which has spoiled air travel for a generation of kids :(
:yes: In Russia, back in the days, kids could even fly the planes (although not very well, and not for very long).

The Brain

Grown man... movies about gladiators...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 28, 2011, 05:15:48 PM
Sounds very nice. Every hour between cities? Even I wouldn't mind doing that.
Here is the network of InterCityExpress trains. There are further InterCity trains that will run at up to 200 kph and complement that main network.

The trains from Frankfurt Airport to Cologne and Stuttgart are so fast that Lufthansa has mostly stopped to fly those routes and rather cooperates with the train company to deliver their passengers there in a code-share agreement.

alfred russel

Germany is slightly smaller than the dakotas (combined, not individually). But it has over 80 million people.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Yes.

The only areas that seem suitable to me for high speed trains in the USA are the area between Boston and DC (maybe Richmond and Norfolk) and Texas (Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Antonio, Austin, perhaps Oklahoma City). Of course Texas won't have much public transport, so you would end up without a car in your destination.

Josquius

Trains are the future.
With rising fuel costs we're going to see a big move back towards trains. Could be interesting for settlement patterns, towns away from the railways shrinking whilst civilization hugs the lines.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Fast trains are great but the Chinese need to nail down rail operations and safety before adding more speed.  Otherwise there are just building a very expensive manned unguided missile and firing it at themselves.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

I think the track guides it pretty well, they just aren't sure when it will explode.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: frunk on December 29, 2011, 01:43:33 PM
I think the track guides it pretty well,

Not all the time, that's the problem.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson