Main Menu

China tests 300 mph train.

Started by jimmy olsen, December 26, 2011, 10:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 27, 2011, 10:12:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 27, 2011, 09:38:28 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 27, 2011, 02:51:30 PM
I'd tend to think 300mph trains (or Maglec) would be more capable of competing with air travel, though obviously the start-up infrastructure costs, with no way to forsee demand, makes it a sketchy proposition.

The problem with trains is that they can't go 300 miles per hour for very long.  They have to slow down in towns and make stops.

Yeah, which is why they would only be useful for inter-city routes (major city stops only, i.e. Seattle-Portland-San Francisco-Los Angeles-San Diego), not for local commuters.

Even better would be a service where you drive your car onto such a train, and fling it, and you, at 300mph between major cities...lose the need to rent a local car.

Holy shit, that's actually a great idea.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

I'd tend to think 300mph trains (or Maglec) would be more capable of competing with air travel, though obviously the start-up infrastructure costs, with no way to forsee demand, makes it a sketchy proposition.

The problem with trains is that they can't go 300 miles per hour for very long.  They have to slow down in towns and make stops.
For conventional trains thats a PITA yeah.
For the maglev apparently though that's not such an issue, it has amazing acceleration.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on December 27, 2011, 10:13:03 PM
I had that idea for a long time.  :mad: Seriously, the biggest impediment to Americans using trains for distances that can be covered by cars is that you still need a car after disembarking from the destination station.  Few of our cities are designed to be navigated on foot.

Ideologue

Well, fine, you can have credit, but it really is literally the best transportation-related idea I've ever heard.  Let's build that motherfucker.  What's the cost?  A trillion?  Let's go!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: DGuller on December 27, 2011, 11:31:32 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 27, 2011, 10:13:03 PM
I had that idea for a long time.  :mad: Seriously, the biggest impediment to Americans using trains for distances that can be covered by cars is that you still need a car after disembarking from the destination station.  Few of our cities are designed to be navigated on foot.

Amtrak actually has that service in one place, you can load a car onto a train in Virginia and take it to Florida.  But of course it's Amtrak, so it could probably be better than the current overnight trip.

Razgovory

Yeah, which is why they would only be useful for inter-city routes (major city stops only, i.e. Seattle-Portland-San Francisco-Los Angeles-San Diego), not for local commuters.

Even better would be a service where you drive your car onto such a train, and fling it, and you, at 300mph between major cities...lose the need to rent a local car.

But as said, infrastructure and paranoid fear of terrorists around every corner make such things impossible these days.

Problem is that you are still going to have the track go through small towns all along the way.  You will have to slow down while in those towns, unless you want to deal with lots and lots of accidents every year.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:09:52 AM
Problem is that you are still going to have the track go through small towns all along the way.  You will have to slow down while in those towns, unless you want to deal with lots and lots of accidents every year.

Raz, they buy their tickets, they know what they're getting into.  I say, let 'em crash.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:09:52 AM

But as said, infrastructure and paranoid fear of terrorists around every corner make such things impossible these days.

As implied, such a system would need its own dedicated track without right-of-way inhibitions.

Razgovory

That would be kinda difficult.  It's still going to cross a lot of roads and stuff.  Perhaps it's different in Europe or Asia, but doesn't seem practical in the US.  Even if the train has right of way, you are going to get a lot of bad publicity if you keep running over cars and children.  You'll have to fight for every inch of track laid as the locals won't want a train that moves that fast in the area.

Don't get me wrong, I like rail transportation, but I think that having trains that move that fast are more publicity stunt then practical policy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Warspite on December 27, 2011, 01:41:02 PM
By creating unprofitable, state-backed railway routes, China is certainly in good first-world company.
They're a social service. 

God I want to nationalise the railways :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: Ideologue on December 27, 2011, 11:41:08 PM
Well, fine, you can have credit, but it really is literally the best transportation-related idea I've ever heard.  Let's build that motherfucker.  What's the cost?  A trillion?  Let's go!
We have trains like that in Germany. You can drive your car onto the train in the evening, have dinner in the restaurant, go to a sleeping compartment and in the morning you'll wake up in southern France, Austria or Italy.

Valdemar

Quote from: Zanza on December 28, 2011, 05:09:34 AM
We have trains like that in Germany. You can drive your car onto the train in the evening, have dinner in the restaurant, go to a sleeping compartment and in the morning you'll wake up in southern France, Austria or Italy.

Indeed, used it alot with my parents when I was a kid

Hamburg Altona -> Verona, Biaritz, Avignon, Leurach (Basel)

V

Zanza

You don't really need ultra high-speed trains for this kind of travel by the way as the competition is the speed of cars, which will rarely exceed about 60 mph (with pauses, traffic etc.). If the train can go with 100-120 mph, that's already quite an advantage speed-wise.

People travelling by air can't bring as much stuff and will have to rent a car, so that appeals to a different kind of customer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valdemar on December 28, 2011, 05:17:23 AM
Quote from: Zanza on December 28, 2011, 05:09:34 AM

Indeed, used it alot with my parents when I was a kid

Hamburg Altona -> Verona, Biaritz, Avignon, Leurach (Basel)

V

Yep, funny to see cars cruising in the middle of the station on the way to the platforms.

As for the right-of-way, real high-speed tracks  (TGV lines, ICE Lines the three of them that is) avoid any road crossing.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 03:45:25 AM
That would be kinda difficult.  It's still going to cross a lot of roads and stuff.  Perhaps it's different in Europe or Asia, but doesn't seem practical in the US.  Even if the train has right of way, you are going to get a lot of bad publicity if you keep running over cars and children.  You'll have to fight for every inch of track laid as the locals won't want a train that moves that fast in the area.

Don't get me wrong, I like rail transportation, but I think that having trains that move that fast are more publicity stunt then practical policy.
I'm pretty sure all traffic crossings have to be removed for high speed trains.  If a train keeps running into cars and children, the train's aerodynamic shape is going to be all messed up, and lead to vastly increased energy consumption.