News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sniper Detectors Coming to America's Heartland

Started by KRonn, December 22, 2011, 03:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: dps on December 22, 2011, 06:05:28 PM
Heck, I question its usefulness in America for the same reason.

And why do the police have any business knowing exactly when and where a gun was fired anyway?  99.99% of the time, there's no criminal act involved.
:huh: :wacko:  See, this kind of silliness is what gives fuel to people like Martinus.  Unless you live in Iraq, firing a gun in populated areas most surely is not OK. 

Razgovory

Actually I don't know.  Do larger towns have outdoor shooting ranges?  I know Jefferson City has some just outside the city limits.  There might be one inside the city limits.  I've never actually checked.  I think the police tend to frown on you shooting just anywhere inside the city though.  I wonder if can distinguish between gun shots and fireworks.  People aren't suppose to shoot off fireworks in the city either, but they do anyway and nobody really cares (unless a house burns down or someone's hand gets blown off).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on December 23, 2011, 02:13:03 AM
Actually I don't know.  Do larger towns have outdoor shooting ranges?  I know Jefferson City has some just outside the city limits.  There might be one inside the city limits.  I've never actually checked.  I think the police tend to frown on you shooting just anywhere inside the city though.  I wonder if can distinguish between gun shots and fireworks.  People aren't suppose to shoot off fireworks in the city either, but they do anyway and nobody really cares (unless a house burns down or someone's hand gets blown off).
I'm sure that police are aware of gun ranges inside the city, even if such exists, so they could just ignore the hits from that general area.  Given the precision of the system, I can see that easily being done.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2011, 02:02:26 AM

And why do the police have any business knowing exactly when and where a gun was fired anyway?  99.99% of the time, there's no criminal act involved.
:huh: :wacko:  See, this kind of silliness is what gives fuel to people like Martinus.  Unless you live in Iraq, firing a gun in populated areas most surely is not OK.

I pop off shots at quail or coyotes regularly.  :sleep:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Brazen

Quote from: KRonn on December 22, 2011, 03:18:44 PM
Also in the pipeline, SST is developing a wearable gunshot detection system built into a vest, including acoustic sensors, integrated GPS and display.

This technology is already fielded for US and UK infantry troops. There's a shoulder mounted detector and a wrist-worn display which gives you bearing and distance instantly.

Don't believe this is "only in America" technology. We've already got it in several cities in the UK where it's linked up to our Big Brother CCTV system to immediately film the perpetrators. Other European cities have it too.

CountDeMoney

We've had them in Baltimore for some time now.

When they started to deploy them at the East Baltimore campus, I got the administrative smackdown for saying the bodies would still be better indicators.  Nyuk, nyuk.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 23, 2011, 07:58:16 AM
We've had them in Baltimore for some time now.

When they started to deploy them at the East Baltimore campus, I got the administrative smackdown for saying the bodies would still be better indicators.  Nyuk, nyuk.

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 23, 2011, 08:56:04 AM
:lol:

I didn't invent the boss's-facepalm-in-front-of-important-people, I just induce them.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on December 23, 2011, 02:13:03 AM
I don't think there are any outdoor shooting ranges in Louisville proper but the surrounding area is practically ringed with them, and I think every large state park has a free one (the state park near me has one, and I've used it several times).

If you have a big enough piece of property here you can get away with shooting on it.  Guy I used to work with has a friend who has a backyard range (and he lives in Louisville) and they shoot there all the time.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I know if the neighbor's dog doesn't stop coming onto my property and growling at my kids, I'm gonna shoot the motherfucker.

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 23, 2011, 12:28:53 PM
I know if the neighbor's dog doesn't stop coming onto my property and growling at my kids, I'm gonna shoot the motherfucker.
You sound like my neighbor. :hug:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on December 23, 2011, 01:39:02 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 23, 2011, 12:28:53 PM
You sound like my neighbor. :hug:

The poors across the street need to be taught an object lesson.

dps

Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2011, 02:02:26 AM

Generally, inside an incorporated municipalitiy, yes there are local ordinances against discharging a weapon.  But there are plenty of populated areas outside of municipal limits that aren't covered by those ordinances, so it's generally not a crime if someone fires a gun unless they're shooting at someone. 

But in re-reading the article, I guess this is just being put in place within cities, so my criticism wouldn't apply.

Ender

This is not gonna end well.
Next, we can't own fireants no more.