News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:27:10 PM
Irrelevant, if France isn't about Ethnicity and rather it's about Republicanism et all then it shouldn't matter where they came from.
I don't understand how this follows from what we've been talking about.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:32:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:30:59 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:25:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:23:24 PM
Er, we didn't actually destroy our Black population by sending them off to another country to be murdered.

Unlike the French, you put them into inhuman conditions and forced into slave labour on your own, and not because invading occupants forced you to do so, but in the 19th, not the 20th century, admittedly.

Yeah, the French did that as well.

To Jews?  :huh:

Blacks.  But French Jews were sent east to be slaves as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:31:47 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:29:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:27:10 PMIrrelevant, if France isn't about Ethnicity and rather it's about Republicanism et all then it shouldn't matter where they came from.

Posts like this really show that it is useless to try to argue with you. I don't know whether it is your insanity or your stupidity but this post strongly suggests at least one if not both.

Explain then.

Sorry, I don't feel like explaining basic facts about reality to an obstinate idiot. 

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:35:07 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:32:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:30:59 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:25:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:23:24 PM
Er, we didn't actually destroy our Black population by sending them off to another country to be murdered.

Unlike the French, you put them into inhuman conditions and forced into slave labour on your own, and not because invading occupants forced you to do so, but in the 19th, not the 20th century, admittedly.

Yeah, the French did that as well.

To Jews?  :huh:

Blacks.  But French Jews were sent east to be slaves as well.

We were drawing comparisons between the French treatment of its Jews and the American treatment of its blacks. How the fuck are French black slaves (who, btw, never amounted to a significant part of the French mainland population, until after decolonization) is relevant to this?

As I said, it is useless to try to argue with you since you do not follow basic logic.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:24:02 PM
Really? I thought one of the key points always mentioned about American nationality is that unlike a lot of Europe, it is almost completely divorced from ethnicity.  :huh:

Perhaps you understand "ethnicity" as something else than everyone else here does.

The basic building blocks of White American are Scotch-Irish and, to a lesser extent, English Puritan, English cavalier, and Pennsylvania Dutch.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2011, 02:34:45 PM
Irrelevant, if France isn't about Ethnicity and rather it's about Republicanism et all then it shouldn't matter where they came from.

If French is not about ethnicity and rather core values then why would it matter where these came from?  If some of them spoke French and had French core values isn't that enough?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:35:36 PM

Sorry, I don't feel like explaining basic facts about reality to an obstinate idiot.

Oh, we tolerate you all the time.  The least you could is reciprocate.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2011, 02:37:37 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:24:02 PM
Really? I thought one of the key points always mentioned about American nationality is that unlike a lot of Europe, it is almost completely divorced from ethnicity.  :huh:

Perhaps you understand "ethnicity" as something else than everyone else here does.

The basic building blocks of White American are Scotch-Irish and, to a lesser extent, English Puritan, English cavalier, and Pennsylvania Dutch.

And the basic building blocks of White Frenchman are people of Gaullic, Breton and Languedoc stock. So?

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2011, 02:19:26 PM

QuoteSo Sheilbh, what were you impressions of the occupy demonstrators you meet in London ?
Haven't been since early into the occupation and I've been in Dorset a lot lately.  I'll speak to them when I get back though.

Thanks for that, I too have been spending some time in Dorset recently.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2011, 02:37:50 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2011, 02:34:45 PM

If French is not about ethnicity and rather core values then why would it matter where these came from?  If some of them spoke French and had French core values isn't that enough?

The thing is, they didn't. They lived in nomadic shanty towns and allegedly engaged in theft. Romas in Europe are like "traveller" people in the US and the UK. While there is clearly a racist element to the Roma hostility, a lot of it is rooted (or at least dressed up) in a cultural clash.

Noone rounded up people of one ethnicity living among others in French suburbia.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:39:10 PM
And the basic building blocks of White Frenchman are people of Gaullic, Breton and Languedoc stock. So?

With an aristocracy derived from Germanic Franks and Burgundians.  And Languedoc and Languedoiel (sp) were linguistic, not ethnic divisions IIRC.

So France is an ethnically based state.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:37:04 PM

We were drawing comparisons between the French treatment of its Jews and the American treatment of its blacks. How the fuck are French black slaves (who, btw, never amounted to a significant part of the French mainland population, until after decolonization) is relevant to this?

As I said, it is useless to try to argue with you since you do not follow basic logic.

French and American treatment of minorities.  There were still Black Slaves in France though and of course in French colonies.  Incidentally the US never enslaved it's Jews or destroyed them.

Sheilbh

French nationality is about that.  It doesn't mean every Francophone with a passing interest in liberty is French :blink:

Having said that in the more universalist moments of the Revolution that sentiment did exist.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 02:41:56 PM

The thing is, they didn't. They lived in nomadic shanty towns and allegedly engaged in theft. Romas in Europe are like "traveller" people in the US and the UK. While there is clearly a racist element to the Roma hostility, a lot of it is rooted (or at least dressed up) in a cultural clash.

Noone rounded up people of one ethnicity living among others in French suburbia.

Did they interview each Roma before they tossed them out?  Find out if they spoke French?

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2011, 02:43:41 PM
French nationality is about that.  It doesn't mean every Francophone with a passing interest in liberty is French :blink:

Having said that in the more universalist moments of the Revolution that sentiment did exist.

Then, what exactly is French.