News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

War of 1812 explained

Started by viper37, December 18, 2011, 03:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Apart from the overzelousness of RN pressgangs and the american desire to conquer canada when britain was otherwise engaged what was the war of 1812 about?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on December 18, 2011, 04:34:46 AM
Apart from the overzelousness of RN pressgangs and the american desire to conquer canada when britain was otherwise engaged what was the war of 1812 about?

This was back when wars didn't have to be about anything.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on December 18, 2011, 04:45:40 AM

This was back when wars didn't have to be about anything.

Jenkins' ear was worth fighting over. It's either that or getting the full set, 7 Years War, 30 Years War, 80 Years War, 100 Years War etc.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadImmortalMan

I think it was more about the frontier than anything. The trade restrictions and all that, yeah, but it was more about American Indians and their relationship with the British IMO. Wrecking that was the main accomplishment of the war from the US side.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 19, 2011, 11:44:18 AM
I think it was more about the frontier than anything. The trade restrictions and all that, yeah, but it was more about American Indians and their relationship with the British IMO. Wrecking that was the main accomplishment of the war from the US side.

Well their supposed relationship with the British.  It strikes me as rather ridiculous to think the only possible reason the American Indians might not be friendly to the US was because the Brits were stirring them up.

Tecumseh: probably not a British agent.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Fuck Tecumseh and fuck the Brits.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 19, 2011, 11:50:12 AM
Fuck Tecumseh

Sherman's parents liked him.  That counts for something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2011, 11:51:11 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 19, 2011, 11:50:12 AM
Fuck Tecumseh

Sherman's parents liked him.  That counts for something.

Small compensation for royally buttfucking the indian tribes in the old Northwest.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 19, 2011, 11:58:22 AM
Small compensation for royally buttfucking the indian tribes in the old Northwest.

Meh they were going to be royally screwed no matter what they did.

Martinus

It's funny but when one reads the wikipedia article, it says pretty much the same as the sketch.  :lol:

Ed Anger

The Indians deserved every bit of it.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2011, 11:48:35 AM
Well their supposed relationship with the British.  It strikes me as rather ridiculous to think the only possible reason the American Indians might not be friendly to the US was because the Brits were stirring them up.

Tecumseh: probably not a British agent.

It strike me as rather ridiculous to assume that the only options are that Tecumseh is a British agent or that the British did nothing to stir up the indians nor aid them in their eforts to stop the westward expansion of the US frontier.

The Americans and Brits hadn't implemented all of the provisions of the Treaty of Paris, and the Brits hadn't pulled their forts out of the west. 

The reason there is so much confusion about the "cause" of the war is that there were many causes, and which ones were important depended on which part of the US you were from.  Some regions, notably New England, didn't really fight the war at all. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!