News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

we need more AARs

Started by 11B4V, December 19, 2011, 12:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on December 19, 2011, 02:09:18 PM
I would do an AAR of a PBEM game with Berkut, but he has a tendency to stop sending moves.

I did that in my game with Tamas :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2011, 04:11:01 PM
Yeah what do you want me to say Berkut?

'Wow Berkut sure is awesome at losing to Habs'

Don't want anyone to say anything - but if I write an AAR it is because I hope to generate some conversation about the game. If none is generated, then I don't really have any reason to write the AAR, do I? It is a lot of work, and if there isn't a payoff, I won't be bothered to do it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on December 20, 2011, 04:15:33 PM
You disgust me, sir.  :mad:

You need to climb right on down off of that pedestal Mister.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on December 20, 2011, 04:33:28 PM
Don't want anyone to say anything - but if I write an AAR it is because I hope to generate some conversation about the game. If none is generated, then I don't really have any reason to write the AAR, do I? It is a lot of work, and if there isn't a payoff, I won't be bothered to do it.

I really enjoyed your AARs but the main problem was I was not familiar with the games you were playing so I didn't have much to contribute.  Especially as I am completely unfamiliar with the genre of weird card driven war games you guys were playing.

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on December 20, 2011, 04:34:00 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on December 20, 2011, 04:15:33 PM
You disgust me, sir.  :mad:

You need to climb right on down off of that pedestal Mister.

It is comfortable here.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

What we really need is a new Languish MP game (of anything), preferably with ongoing commentary by the participants.

garbon

I might write one soon...but maybe not. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2011, 04:34:43 PM
I really enjoyed your AARs but the main problem was I was not familiar with the games you were playing so I didn't have much to contribute.  Especially as I am completely unfamiliar with the genre of weird card driven war games you guys were playing.
I used to really like CDGs, but now there's too goddamn many of them so I'm kind of burnt out on the genre.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

The genre isn't the problem--it's the designs made around them.

The CDG format still has a lot to offer.  Of note is the recent Martin Wallace offering of A Few Acres of Snow.  More stuff in that vein and less shit like Halls of Montezuma is what's needed, not fewer CDGs in general.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on December 21, 2011, 09:07:33 PM
The genre isn't the problem--it's the designs made around them.

The CDG format still has a lot to offer.  Of note is the recent Martin Wallace offering of A Few Acres of Snow.  More stuff in that vein and less shit like Halls of Montezuma is what's needed, not fewer CDGs in general.

Or like Triumph of Chaos, which is in fact a triumph of chaos.