News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? - music

Started by MadImmortalMan, July 18, 2012, 03:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

In the vein of "what are you listening to", I thought this might be cool, but I know of few musicians here.

I'm a great sax player and I learned horns in senior year and college to keep marching. Got statewide OMEA Jazz awards (Ohio Music Education Association) and stuff back in the day. I was a music sex machine in high school. I have no idea how I didn't become a complete player then but hey. Youth is wasted on the young.

I've been taking lessons in guitar and theory for a while and having fun. Even played some gigs on sax with bands my teacher plays with. This week, I conquered the entire British Steel album by JP and some Lynyrd Skynyrd because by little brother had already learned Gimme Three Steps on his bass.

Does anybody else besides the old guys from Kapland play?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tamas

I pretend to be able to play a bit on bass, but what little stuff I learned is mostly gone since I have suffered a horribly pinched nerve in my right index finger. Just won't go the fuck away and the doctors can't find shit there.

katmai

Use to play piano, but haven't played one in house in years.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadImmortalMan

You know, I sprained my thumb joint (where it meets the wrist) catching my weight getting into the crawlspace a year ago and it never returned to normal. I can play my guitars ok but I still have stamina problems because that stupid joint is weak where the thumb meets the palm/wrist.

Ed: The left thumb is the main weight-supporting agent when playing sax too. Bleh.

Josquius

Life long trier and failer at learning the guitar
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: MIMI'm a great sax player

And modest. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ideologue on July 18, 2012, 04:15:17 AM
Quote from: MIMI'm a great sax player

And modest. :P

I'm very good.  :)

Won statewide competitions in OMEA Jazz. 1994.

I improvise like a mofo. I have a lot of trophies from back then.  :P

My band instructor for jazz band used to pass out plastic sheets like Gallagher to protect the audience from "flying tendons and bone fragments" during my solos.

I was a motivated player in those days.

I also haven't played the horn much at all since I left Texas. So...rusty.

I think I probably suck now.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

My mother made me take accordion lessons when I was little.  My family still makes fun of me for it, even though it was no choice of mine.
PDH!