News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on January 30, 2022, 09:28:10 AMIt's ridiculous how Nadal/Djokovic/Federer have been so dominant for nearly 2 decades now.

I remember when American Men used to dominate the US Open, or at least consistently over-perform other tournaments, but no American has won the Men's Singles Title since...holy shit, Andy Roddick 19 years ago? Ok this is starting to get embarrassing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2022, 09:26:57 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 30, 2022, 09:28:10 AMIt's ridiculous how Nadal/Djokovic/Federer have been so dominant for nearly 2 decades now.

I remember when American Men used to dominate the US Open, or at least consistently over-perform other tournaments, but no American has won the Men's Singles Title since...holy shit, Andy Roddick 19 years ago? Ok this is starting to get embarrassing.

Welcome to South-West London.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Last night Spain won the Eurobasket final against France. That was a really outstanding and unexpected result, I wouldn't have counted ourselves amongst the favourites when the tournament started, at all.

In a tournament in which several teams had in their squads some of the biggest names in world basketball at the moment (Antetokounmpo in Greece, Jokic in Serbia, Doncic in Slovenia...), we presented ourselves with what was, on paper, a fairly weak squad, in transition from the triumfant ones of the last decades. For starters, it was the first squad in like 20 years without either of the Gasol brothers, who are by far the best players in Spanish history. Our "stars" this time were another pair of brothers, the Hernangómez, who are both NBA players, but of far lower status than the Gasols were back in the day. Some of the veteran squad players of the last few years were also out, either due to injury or retirement from the national team, and a journeyman American point guard with no ties to Spain whatsoever had to be naturalized via express procedure so the team could have a competent player at that position.

it is truly a massive success for the whole team, and specially for two people, Willy Hernangómez, the older and less talented of the Hernangómez brothers, who was named tournament MVP, and for Sergio Scariolo, the national team's longtime coach, who turned this misfit squad into European champions.

celedhring

This win means that we're also record holders if we only count countries that still exist  :P

I still laugh at the fact that Egypt (!!) has won the Eurobasket more times than Serbia.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 19, 2022, 04:46:33 AMI still laugh at the fact that Egypt (!!) has won the Eurobasket more times than Serbia.

I had to double-check that.  :lol: I don't think that particular tournament was very representative, though.  :P

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on September 19, 2022, 04:46:33 AMThis win means that we're also record holders if we only count countries that still exist  :P

Yugoslavia should get some credit for still winning tournaments 9 years after ceasing to exist.  :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on September 19, 2022, 09:41:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 19, 2022, 04:46:33 AMThis win means that we're also record holders if we only count countries that still exist  :P

Yugoslavia should get some credit for still winning tournaments 9 years after ceasing to exist.  :lol:

What do you mean?

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on September 19, 2022, 10:56:52 AM

What do you mean?

They seem to have won in 2001.

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on September 19, 2022, 04:54:21 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 19, 2022, 10:56:52 AM

What do you mean?

They seem to have won in 2001.

Ah, that was the rump Yugoslavia after the wars, when it was just Serbia and Montenegro and before they changed the country's name.

Duque de Bragança

So Os Lobos, another Selecção (Portugal national squad for you philistines) in rugby union, qualified for the World Cup in France next year, following a dramatic play-off/repêchage game with a last-second tie through a penalty kick, in Dubai vs the US national team.

Rugby league would seem a better fit for the latter closer to gridiron, but I digress.
First World Cup missed for the US since 1995.

This is France, so in theory Portugal should play at home, but rugby being a very bourgeois sport (hello Sporting CP? Benfica?  :P ) in Portugal I don't think it will draw the crowds the Selecção das Quinas in Association Football would.

Second time only for Os Lobos, since rugby, even union (league barely exists) is still very marginal in Portugal, behind rink hockey, basket-ball, hand-ball, volley-ball etc.

PS: many Portuguese players in French rugby clubs
Cristiano Ronaldo, who else, congratulated them on their qualification.
https://actu.fr/sports/rugby/pro/rugby-mike-tadjer-et-le-portugal-iront-a-la-coupe-du-monde-2023-c-est-un-reve-de-gosse_55317956.html

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfh_CFs4jUk

Congratulations to the Lady Hawkeyes led by their superstar guard Caitlan Clark for beating South Carolina and making it to the final. :cheers:

Jacob

The Tour de France has been pretty close so far this year.

Normally I don't follow it closely (if at all), but it's been all over some of my regular media this year....

Admiral Yi

I've watched two fan interference wipe out clips.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on July 18, 2023, 11:06:14 AMThe Tour de France has been pretty close so far this year.

Normally I don't follow it closely (if at all), but it's been all over some of my regular media this year....

Yeah it's been a thrilling contest, but today your countryman crushed Pogacer, maybe he'll pull some time back tomorrow in the super tough mountain stage.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 18, 2023, 02:22:50 PMI've watched two fan interference wipe out clips.

Regular occurence, unfortunately. Bit higher than average for this Tour?