News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Nadal takes his place as the greatest in history now.

RAFA
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

It's ridiculous how Nadal/Djokovic/Federer have been so dominant for nearly 2 decades now.

celedhring

When I was fresh off uni I briefly worked as a video journalist, and I did a lot of work covering videogame events in Spain. I was once tasked with interviewing 3 promising young Spanish sportsmen that Sony was sponsoring.

These 3 guys were Pau Gasol, Rafael Nadal, and Andrés Iniesta.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 30, 2022, 09:28:10 AM
It's ridiculous how Nadal/Djokovic/Federer have been so dominant for nearly 2 decades now.

A while ago, the New Yorker or WaPo crossword had a clue, "Former tennis champ (Tommy)". I got they meant Tommy Haas since he was reasonably well known in Germany for a while, but I didn't recall him winning any major titles, so I looked it up. He briefly was #2 in the world, but never made it past the semi finals in the big four, and won a couple lesser tournaments. So I thought that was a rather obscure one. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Haas
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 30, 2022, 09:35:00 AM
When I was fresh off uni I briefly worked as a video journalist, and I did a lot of work covering videogame events in Spain. I was once tasked with interviewing 3 promising young Spanish sportsmen that Sony was sponsoring.

Whoever picked the sportsmen had a really good eye for talent.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on January 30, 2022, 04:19:50 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 30, 2022, 09:35:00 AM

Whoever picked the sportsmen had a really good eye for talent.

Gasol was already in the NBA by then, so he gets no marks for him. But yeah, Iniesta wasn't even in the Barça senior team, and Nadal was a complete nobody.

Always hated not thinking of taking a pic of me with them.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Sweden take gold, Spain silver, Denmark bronze.

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on January 30, 2022, 06:38:55 PM
So. Was Nadal a dick?

Neither him or Iniesta said much. Gasol was super-nice though.

celedhring

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 31, 2022, 12:13:42 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 30, 2022, 11:26:22 PM
Sweden take gold, Spain silver, Denmark bronze.

In what?

European Championship in handball. One of those sports that never made it in North America, but which is awesome to play.

Syt

Olympic games are starting. German IOC president Thomas Bach held a press conference yesterday. Asked e.g. about the treament of the Uigurs, he said the IOC would not comment on political issues to avoid getting caught up between tensions and political forces. That would risk the existence of the Olympic Games.

Re: Russia, he said that the IOC can only ask everyone to observe the Olympic peace (Russia attacked Georgia on opening day of the 2008 Beijing games IIRC, and moved on Crimea during the Sochi games in 2014).

Regarding political statements from athletes he said that if an actor plays Hamlet then nobody's requesting him to voice his political opinions on stage, and the same would go for athletes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"