And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on July 28, 2021, 07:47:12 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 28, 2021, 07:08:38 AM
The Russian Internet had a speculation that Japan's tight restriction on some medications could've prevented Simone from taking prescriptions that she has exemptions for.  She infamously takes ADD medication, and I think she may also be taking anxiety medication.  If there is indeed something to it, then I can see how suddenly going off meds can completely demolish your confidence in yourself and your body.

Might be, but I doubt that athletes with the proper paperwork can't take the medications they need to Japan, even if local regulations are super strict, given all the dispensations that are made for the Olympics.

This does make sense. When I lived in Japan I remember hearing loads of stuff about common American medication being very illegal in Japan and impossible to import. No idea to what extent this is anything she is on though.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

NPR answers YOUR questions about the Olympics

QuoteWhy is Team USA wearing masks that make them look like Bane from Batman?

We looked into this. The masks, made by Nike, aren't extra-protective or anything. They're mostly a fashion statement. The pleats are meant to evoke the folds of Japanese origami.

And now you know.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

Canada has won 11 medals so far. All by women. Apparently we're the only country were women are out winning the men.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2021, 08:27:03 PM
Canada has won 11 medals so far. All by women. Apparently we're the only country were women are out winning the men.

Well Filippines famously also has only women winning medals.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/archery-skorean-archers-short-hair-draws-anti-feminist-sentiment-home-2021-07-29/

QuoteSouth Korean archer's short hair draws anti-feminist sentiment at home

TOKYO, July 29 (Reuters) - The short haircut of South Korean archer An San, who has won two gold medals at the Tokyo Olympics, has attracted anti-feminist sentiment at home.

Online abuse, calling her hairstyle "feminist", comes against a backdrop of rising anti-feminist sentiment among South Korean young men.

The 20-year-old archer won South Korea's first gold on Saturday, then claimed another gold in the women's team event.

After she won a matchplay in the 1/16 elimination round of the women's individual event on Thursday, her coach blocked reporters from asking "unnecessary" questions, apparently aware of the controversy.

An herself said she would answer only questions related to the Games, even before a reporter finished a question about the online hostility.

Growing animosity toward feminism and public policy to promote women's rights has become a hot topic in South Korea.

Some South Korean politicians and celebrities posted messages and their own short-hair photos to support An.

"With that firm look, please shoot through every prejudice in the world. We stand by your short-cut hair and support you," Sim Sang-jung, a lawmaker from a minority Justice Party, said in a tweet.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

That kind of sentiment is running rampant among young men here.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 30, 2021, 07:16:17 AM
That kind of sentiment is running rampant among young men here.

:blink:

Tim, are those likely to be those 'celibate can't get any' types?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Watched the mixed 4x400 relay, this was fun. We need more mixed sports wherever applicable.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on July 31, 2021, 07:40:36 AM
Watched the mixed 4x400 relay, this was fun. We need more mixed sports wherever applicable.

Indeed. First Polish gold!

Yesterday I think it was Nigeria who seemed to try and mix up the man-woman order of their relay, going man-man in the middle before finishing with a woman. Didn't work out for them, but if it's allowed to try and strategise as such it might be interesting. It was a bit of a spectacle seeing the "out of synch" Nigerian guy just leaving all the ladies behind though, and then his teammate lady putting up a good fight but ultimately being overtaken by everyone else.

Josquius

Strange they'd do that. I thought it'd be pretty accepted to out a guy last given the way things usually work in long distance races et al-most of the top people sit back a little and let someone else do the hard work of setting the pace before going all out themselves.
I wonder if there's an accepted way of doing it in standard relays?
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

So now Simone Biles situation clears up, and it turns out that she lost her air awareness.  I'm not sure then why this was made out to be some brave stance for mental health.  If your lose your sense of balance while in the air, then obviously you just can't do gymnastics no matter what stance you take on mental health.  I'm sure even a North Korean federation would understand why a gymnast would have to withdraw if faced with such an issue.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on July 25, 2021, 08:30:50 AM
I'm surprised the Americans don't win at shooting every time. It's like in their DNA; like hockey to Canadians, football to latinos, gymnastics to Romanians.. etc.

Our reliance on automatics hurts our accuracy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2021, 08:27:03 PM

I mean there are an equal number of male and female events so that has to be true with lots of countries.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on July 31, 2021, 10:47:23 AM
So now Simone Biles situation clears up, and it turns out that she lost her air awareness.  I'm not sure then why this was made out to be some brave stance for mental health.  If your lose your sense of balance while in the air, then obviously you just can't do gymnastics no matter what stance you take on mental health.  I'm sure even a North Korean federation would understand why a gymnast would have to withdraw if faced with such an issue.

I figured it was something serious, people like Simone have dedicated absurd amounts of their time to be champions. No way people like her withdraw unless it is really serious.

In any case the team came through with a Silver and Lee won the overall. So next woman up, as the saying goes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Only found out today about the male and female mixed teams in some events; what a great innovation and one I think will last.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"