News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Simian Immune Systems

Started by Queequeg, December 15, 2011, 04:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It's pretty great-I've seen all of the Apes films, and have a lot of affection even for the troubled ones.  But one of the plot points is that ape immune systems are better.

This struck me as interesting.  At first it struck me as likely bullshit-we deal with far higher population density-but then it struck me that chimps likely live with a lot of bizarre jungle viruses, and probably end up eating a lot of disgusting raw stuff.  I know certain viruses come from ape populations, but that doesn't prove anything other than that they had a select few diseases. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Human being lived lots of bizarre jungle viruses in the past.  In fact, some still do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2011, 05:04:42 PM
Human being lived lots of bizarre jungle viruses in the past.  In fact, some still do.
Yeah, thought of this.  Most of them presumably eat cooked food, but seems a fair bet that some don't.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

When I try to quote people on this board, it doesn't always work.  I don't know why.

Anyway, the British eat all sorts of disgusting things as well.  And the Japanese eat lots of raw stuff.  Of course I'm not a biologist, so I don't know a lot about that.  I think this is more Fate's department.  He's studying to be a doctor, or maybe a serial killer.  I dunno, something like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

My immune system is perfect.  QED.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on December 15, 2011, 04:57:04 PM
Watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It's pretty great-I've seen all of the Apes films, and have a lot of affection even for the troubled ones.  But one of the plot points is that ape immune systems are better.

This struck me as interesting.  At first it struck me as likely bullshit-we deal with far higher population density-but then it struck me that chimps likely live with a lot of bizarre jungle viruses, and probably end up eating a lot of disgusting raw stuff.  I know certain viruses come from ape populations, but that doesn't prove anything other than that they had a select few diseases.
I agree it's likely bullshit, not only do we live in much higher population densities we are exposed to far more disease vectors than apes because of our domesticated animals.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

We have antibiotics, though.  Hmm.