News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Boy uses mom's body as life raft.

Started by Syt, May 03, 2009, 07:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Boy clung to mum's body to survive boat capsize

QuoteSIX members of a family holidaying in Malaysia drowned when their small boat capsized in rough seas, leaving a lone survivor who clung to his mother's dead body to stay afloat.
Three other people including the crew of the boat are missing in the tragedy off southern Johor state.

Nadeem Ashraf, from the Pakistan High Commission, said that the survivor was 14-year-old Pakistani Aqeel Qirkeel, who was suffering from shock and recovering in hospital.

Aqeel reportedly said he survived by holding on to his mother's lifeless body.

"I don't remember how long I swam before I found my mother's floating body. I hooked my mother's hand onto a chain I had on my neck and kept swimming with her body," he was quoted as saying by the Star newspaper.

A passing trading vessel eventually plucked Aqeel out of the water.

Aqeel said he and six of his family members, including a 12-year-old girl and an 11-year-old boy, were on an excursion on Monday night when the boat began to sink after less than half an hour at sea.

The family, from the city of Quetta, had arrived in Malaysia on April 18.

Mohamad Khamsani Abdul Rahman, from the region's marine police, confirmed there were 10 people on the ill-fated boat, which had been headed for the Indonesian island of Batam, near neighbouring Singapore.

"We are continuing our search and rescue operation for the missing three people," he said, adding that police believed two of the three missing were crew members of Indonesian origin.

There were conflicting accounts of the identity of the third missing person.

That story should make an interesting story at parties. "Speaking of mothers - do you want to know a funny story about mine?"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

syk

One of those "Your mom"s going around here is "Your mom works on a fishing trawler. As the smell". Gets a whole new ring to it with this story.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

syk

Siege

syk

Siege

Liep

Syk, who taught you that jew mindtrick?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Siege

syk

Quote from: Liep on May 03, 2009, 12:11:22 PM
Syk, who taught you that jew mindtrick?
Years spent on psychiatric acute care units.  -_-

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.