Yanks, how does it feel to soon become the new China?

Started by Ape, December 10, 2011, 06:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2011, 09:09:45 AM
Lamar Smith proposes an insane law and this is news?  I would be more freaked out by the headline: Lamar Smith proposes sensible and well thought out legislation.  I would presume he had been kidnapped and replaced by a double.

Shush, you!  Ape is enjoying his badly twisted knickers.  Don't ruin it for him using logic!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2011, 09:09:45 AM
Lamar Smith proposes an insane law and this is news?  I would be more freaked out by the headline: Lamar Smith proposes sensible and well thought out legislation.  I would presume he had been kidnapped and replaced by a double.

What's insane about it?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2011, 11:13:44 AM
What's insane about it?

The same reason most of his laws are insane: the obvious and glaring unintended consequences that will result.  Smith just loves massive power for the Feds and never really thinks thing through.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2011, 11:15:57 AM
The same reason most of his laws are insane: the obvious and glaring unintended consequences that will result.  Smith just loves massive power for the Feds and never really thinks thing through.

Please elaborate.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2011, 11:17:01 AM
Please elaborate.

You have got to be kidding me.  How obvious does it need to be?  Several other people in this thread have already spelled it out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2011, 11:17:01 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2011, 11:15:57 AM

Please elaborate.
Take a look at the first post in this thread.  There is a news article that outlines some of the issues.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2011, 11:18:55 AM
You have got to be kidding me.  How obvious does it need to be?  Several other people in this thread have already spelled it out.

Neil's comment made some sense, but I'm having a hard time seeing US ISPs and search engines picking up stakes and moving to Piratistan because of this law.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2011, 11:25:36 AM
Neil's comment made some sense, but I'm having a hard time seeing US ISPs and search engines picking up stakes and moving to Piratistan because of this law.

The issue isn't ISPs or search engines.  Most ISPs actually run on leased DNS entries- the issue is the IANA-regulated root servers; most of them are actually in the United States.  Take a look at this to see just how much infrastructure would probably be relocated.
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2011, 11:25:36 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2011, 11:18:55 AM

Why would they move to "Piratistan" when they can move to Europe?  Or Australia?

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 12, 2011, 11:45:16 AM
The issue isn't ISPs or search engines.  Most ISPs actually run on leased DNS entries- the issue is the IANA-regulated root servers; most of them are actually in the United States.  Take a look at this to see just how much infrastructure would probably be relocated.

Why would that stuff move if this law were passed?  ISPs and search engines at least have a hypothetical commercial interest in holding on to their pirating customers.

Monoriu

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2011, 06:33:15 PM
Why would that stuff move if this law were passed?  ISPs and search engines at least have a hypothetical commercial interest in holding on to their pirating customers.

The onus on blocks and the mechanism for blocking would be at the DNS level on organizations in the US; they're the ones whose operations would probably be most heavily disrupted.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?