Four years, 52 dead, £100m - no convictions

Started by jimmy olsen, April 28, 2009, 09:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Warspite on April 29, 2009, 09:15:23 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 29, 2009, 05:49:20 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2009, 12:27:24 AM
Timmy: what makes you say the case was winnable?

Beeb: the way I learned it "beyond reasonable doubt" equates to 95% confidence, i.e. 19 guilty men go free for every one convicted.
I meant a winnable case in general, that the Brits weren't able to catch anybody involved in this attack and convict them is very disheartening.

Let's perhaps remember that the direct culprits blew themselves up, and it is difficult to prosecute a corpse.

And, rightly, proving conspiracy to commit a crime is harder than proving guilt of committing a crime.

Maybe we should wait and see what the public enquiries turn up first eh?

No more waiting!  We've waited enough.  We need reckless action.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

When people caught redhanded in the act of high seas piracy are let go without even a trial, and terrorists are set free on grounds of "reasonable" doubt, the system is failing.

Europe needs a new Strong Man.

Preferably white. But really, I will accept an Italian or Spaniard aswell.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Slargos on April 29, 2009, 09:19:43 AM

Europe needs a new Strong Man.

Preferably white. But really, I will accept an Italian or Spaniard aswell.

Might as well ask for a Greek greaseball then.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: ulmont on April 29, 2009, 08:44:46 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2009, 12:13:45 AM
It's that we have chosen that 100 guilty men should go free, for risk that one innocent man be convicted.

Blackstone said 10.  Benjamin Franklin said 100.  Aristotle said 1.  See generally "n Guilty Men."
http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/guilty.htm

What a bizarre link...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

I'm quite pleased that the courts are still sufficiently independent to throw out the excessively dodgy cases that are being presented to them by the police. I guess if the government and police want to imprison random Pakistanis they'll just have to open an internment camp in South Georgia  :P