News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2012

Started by Maladict, December 10, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I'd guess I went about 30 or 40 times in a year. Might be worth the hundred bucks if I still had reliable transportation.  :blush:

Though not necessary, as I have plenty of exercise options at home.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 10, 2011, 01:11:31 PM
I'd guess I went about 30 or 40 times in a year. Might be worth the hundred bucks if I still had reliable transportation.  :blush:

Though not necessary, as I have plenty of exercise options at home.

May I insert a masturbation joke? It's the obvious witless humor that I excel at the most. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Obvious humor is one of the cornerstones of modern civilization.  :)

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on December 10, 2011, 09:35:44 AM
I know, we're not there yet. But now is the time to set some targets.
Post them here so you can be ridiculed a year from now when you failed all of them like I have this year  :Embarrass:

So, to raise the bar some more, I just signed up for:
- Amstel Gold race, 250km of cycling in the Dutch hills (yes, we have some) in April
- La Marmotte, 175 excruciating km's in the French Alps in July

And I want to pick up running again, maybe a half marathon in the fall or something.

I'm thinking of buying one of those bike stands so I can ride my bike indoors, does anyone here have any experience with them?

That's certainly ambitious, I can't imagine how hard mountain biking in the Alps would be, and the road race sounds interesting.  :cheers:

For myself I'm going to try and keep doing more than 500 miles a month through the spring, summer and autumn of next year.

Obviously the winters going to be a bit tricky re fitness, though living in central southern England allows me to get out all year round, just got back from a quick 40 mile spin along the Dorset coast, found out piled up beach sand and road tyres aren't compatible.  :(

The one thing I'd really like to do is the idea a mate and myself have for a race to the South of Spain in the early Summer; I take my bike and he races me in his sports car, the idea being to see who can take the longest to get there.  :)
Though I think money and especially time are going to be the problems, I think I need to see him in the run up to Xmas, so we can pencil in a date. Of course he's somewhat vital to the whole op as I need to get back from Southern Spain.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on December 10, 2011, 02:52:50 PM
That's certainly ambitious, I can't imagine how hard mountain biking in the Alps would be, and the road race sounds interesting.  :cheers:

The Alps is a road race as well, it has the Galibier and Alpe d'Huez in it, amongst others.
Plenty of mountain bikers join in as well, doesn't really seem to matter what kind of bike you bring. It's slow going either way.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on December 10, 2011, 03:25:09 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 10, 2011, 02:52:50 PM

The Alps is a road race as well, it has the Galibier and Alpe d'Huez in it, amongst others.
Plenty of mountain bikers join in as well, doesn't really seem to matter what kind of bike you bring. It's slow going either way.

Good grief that's like 6000+ ft. :blink:

Rather you than me.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on December 10, 2011, 04:34:22 PM

Good grief that's like 6000+ ft. :blink:

Rather you than me.

It's about 18,000 ft of climbing altogether.
And about 18,000 ft of descending  :cool:

mongers

You know that's nearly 5.5kms of 'Up' - I know of people who couldn't cycle that distance on the dead flat !  :D

hotshot

Low fat and low carb diet plus jogging and no drinking is the way way to go.

Maladict

Taking the bike out on New Year's Day: failed. 
No possible excuse, I don't have a hangover and it's +12 degrees FFS. :(

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on January 01, 2012, 11:11:21 AM
Taking the bike out on New Year's Day: failed. 
No possible excuse, I don't have a hangover and it's +12 degrees FFS. :(

:lol:

I'm in the same boat, had every intention today, but its rather wet today so I'm having a rest day.   :blush:

edit:

Damn you guilted me into going out in the rain, went out to get a paper and did about 9 miles on the single speed, roads rather flooded, but I guess it got me out of the house, so :cheers:

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on January 01, 2012, 11:19:48 AM
Damn you guilted me into going out in the rain, went out to get a paper and did about 9 miles on the single speed, roads rather flooded, but I guess it got me out of the house, so :cheers:

:cheers:

I went out for takeaway because I was too lazy to cook  :blush:

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on January 01, 2012, 01:05:17 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 01, 2012, 11:19:48 AM

:cheers:

Yeah that's the next big hurdle for me tonight.   :D

I might just go with the Xmas left overs or have some cheese and crackers.  :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maladict on January 01, 2012, 01:05:17 PM

That's what frozen pizza is for. Even less effort than going out for food.

Cecil

Have had a bit of a lull this last week. Unable to complete my usual half mara. Felt completely dead at 17ish k. I suspect some sort of viral thing in my body as I´ve been more tired than usual. Could be a winter thing though I suppose. :(