Supreme Court throws Texas elections into disarray over district maps dispute

Started by jimmy olsen, December 09, 2011, 11:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on December 11, 2011, 04:28:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2011, 02:23:02 PM
I don't get this notion of sharpening crayons.

I've never heard of it, either.  It was a throw-away line designed to say something about the Texas legislature, not to say something about crayons.

The large crayola boxes do have sharpeners though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

At some point you do need to sharpen the crayons.  Obviously by their very design the points on them don't need to be as pointy as on pencils, but if they're too dull, they start drawing very inconsistently.  Depending on how they're rotated in your hand, you either have more friction than you expect or less friction than you expect, which makes it hard to know how much force to apply to them to get the desired level of shading.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on December 11, 2011, 05:19:31 PM
At some point you do need to sharpen the crayons.  Obviously by their very design the points on them don't need to be as pointy as on pencils, but if they're too dull, they start drawing very inconsistently.  Depending on how they're rotated in your hand, you either have more friction than you expect or less friction than you expect, which makes it hard to know how much force to apply to them to get the desired level of shading.

That's what new crayons are for. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2011, 05:29:50 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 11, 2011, 05:19:31 PM

That's what new crayons are for. :huh:
Sure, and you can get a new car whenever it's time to bring your old one in for maintenance, but just getting maintenance for your current car is probably a more practical solution.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on December 11, 2011, 05:39:48 PM
Sure, and you can get a new car whenever it's time to bring your old one in for maintenance, but just getting maintenance for your current car is probably a more practical solution.

How much does a 64 pack cost? 5 bucks?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2011, 05:42:45 PM

5 bucks is a lot of money to a 5 year old.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 11, 2011, 06:41:32 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2011, 05:42:45 PM

5 bucks is a lot of money to a 5 year old.

I never paid for mine.

Josquius

Why oh why can't America just use nice sensible geographic/population number districts.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

I was most railing against crayon sharpeners.  Real kids sharpen their crayons by scraping the edges at high speed  in a meaningless pattern to restore a good point.

sbr

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 11, 2011, 09:48:09 PM
I was most railing against crayon sharpeners.  Real kids sharpen their crayons by scraping the edges at high speed  in a meaningless pattern to restore a good point.

:yes:  It's how Bear Grylls sharpened his crayons.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on December 10, 2011, 06:51:31 PM
:lol: The only thing dumber than allowing judges to draw the district borders is allowing Texans to do so.  Hell, the crayon the legislature used wasn't even sharpened!

Politics is not held in very high regard here.  As I have mentioned many times our best and brightest do not want political careers so it gets filled by mediocrities with massive egos.  The real mystery is why the rest of the country keeps putting Texas politicians in positions of authority on a national level.  I mean how stupid are you guys?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."