Scientists make startling discovery of super massive black holes

Started by Kleves, December 06, 2011, 04:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 06, 2011, 06:40:28 PM
that movie terrified me when it cam eout. like taoally terrifed me.

It terrified me too, though perhaps not for the same reasons...
and the horse you rode in on

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

the scene when the zombie spacers was revealed freaked me out as a child. As did the mad doctor being imprisoned in maximillion in the hellscape.
PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 06, 2011, 05:53:17 PM
I saw one at Taco Bell today.
Great, now I want a chalupa.  But I have to eat this vegetable pasta shit for dinner.  THANKS JERK. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on December 06, 2011, 05:55:08 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And you opted for law school instead of a physics degree...why, again?

Yeah, that's something I don't understand about Hunter.  Science is his natural home.  He likes it, he should try to make that his job.  He's still young, he could always go back to school.  Ide would probably make a good aerospace engineer.  He would have to explain to his colleagues why he has a stiffy all the time while at work, but beyond that it's a natural fit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: fahdiz on December 06, 2011, 05:55:08 PM
And you opted for law school instead of a physics degree...why, again?
If you think it's hard getting a job with a law degree, just imagine getting into a field where the only way you can get a job is to get somebody else fired, in a country that is turning its back on science.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

I grasp concepts well (which is why I did ok in law school), but I'm really not very adept at math.  Compared to your average human, maybe, but that's nothing to brag about.

I mean, I didn't even build my computer without some help (although in fairness that help consisted entirely of my friend informing me that I didn't have the memory cards in the slot all the way, as you are apparently supposed to slam them in there like the motherboard was Sasha Grey's throat).

I'm also not young anymore, by any standard metric. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 06, 2011, 06:01:08 PM
Numerous reasons.  Useless liberal arts background.  Desire to improve society.  Misunderstanding of the value/versatility of a law degree.  Willingness of schools to profit on such misunderstanding.  Psychological grip of the sunk cost fallacy upon myself and loved ones.

That said, it's not like that would require a physics degree to figure out.  Just 'rithmetic.

:lol: Awesome.

Neil

Desire to improve society, so you got the one degree that is invariably destructive to society?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maximus

Quote from: Neil on December 06, 2011, 09:08:38 PM
Desire to improve society, so you got the one degree that is invariably destructive to society?
Yea, does not compute.

Ide, the ability and willingness to work hard is at least as useful as exceptional math talent in getting a science degree.

frunk

Quote from: fahdiz on December 06, 2011, 04:12:14 PM
Question. In this article the words "large" and "massive" are being used interchangeably. Since we all know that these aren't actually the same thing, how *big* are these black holes? The article seems to indicate how *massive* they are but what are their diameters?

It's used interchangeably because for a black hole the size is strictly related to its mass.  So the larger a black hole is the more massive it is and vice versa.

That said, the area of effect of a black hole is much larger than its "physical" size.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue