Belgium has a government!

Started by Sheilbh, December 05, 2011, 03:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Habbaku on December 06, 2011, 08:27:32 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 06, 2011, 08:23:08 PM
Secession from a democracy is evil.

:rolleyes:

Ide goes too far but the truth is that there can be no secession from a democracy unless a majority agrees to it - and not just the minority that wants to secede.

A unilateral secession from a democracy is no different from a unilateral decision to start murdering people or robbing banks.

Ideologue

No.

But it is (rather practically, not just theoretically) not very different from a decision of a minority group to stop paying their taxes.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on December 07, 2011, 06:27:09 AM
Quote from: Neil on December 06, 2011, 08:34:21 PM
Don't think of it as secession.  Think of it as the ejection of the Walloons.

Besides, only a Sith deals in absolutes.
And they have the cool zap powers and get to fuck Natalie Portman.  Advantage: absolutes.
Of the four Sith depicted, only one got to fuck Natalie Portman, and he was rewarded by having his genitals burned off.  Two of them never zapped anything.  With your luck, you'd be freaky-looking Darth Maul.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on December 07, 2011, 06:36:40 PM
No.

But it is (rather practically, not just theoretically) not very different from a decision of a minority group to stop paying their taxes.
Except in this case we're talking about the majority seceding.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.