Who will be the Republican Nominee for President (post Cain)

Started by Viking, December 03, 2011, 08:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on December 15, 2011, 05:46:11 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 15, 2011, 05:45:12 PM
Adolf Hitler 77%
Napoleon 61%
Caracalla 45%
Caligula 41%

:D

Wish I'd thought of that.

I would vote for 3 out of 4 of those historical figures. If you can guess who I wouldn't vote for, you win nothing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

I love him and all, but I don't think I could in good conscience vote for Caliga.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2011, 05:46:01 PM
Poor Cal, he's never going to get that Colonelship.

Isn't it a colonelcy?

Red squiggly lines agree with me. :yes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Jon Huntsman - 80.1 %
Newt Gingrich - 64.3 %
Mitt Romney - 61.3 %
Ron Paul - 56.5 %
Rick Perry - 55.2 %
Michele Bachmann - 51.6 %
Rick Santorum - 48.0 %
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

stjaba

Quote from: Gups on December 15, 2011, 01:26:37 PM
Quote from: stjaba on December 15, 2011, 01:05:35 PM
Back to the topic at hand....

Gingrich has been leading nearly every single state poll outside of New Hampshire. But the latest Iowa poll actually has Romney with a two point lead over Gingrich. And Gingrich's numbers on Intrade have dropped dramatically. As recently as a couple days ago, Romney's chances for winning the nomination were around 40% and Gingrich was around 35%. Now, Gingrich has dropped to 15% and Romney is almost at 60%.

That sounds like a good bet on Gringrich. Rogue poll? The previous two had Romney trailing Paul (and Perry in one)

Gingrich's numbers appear to be dropping in multiple polls, so it's possible he has peaked and is on his way down.  Gingrich has been getting heavily attacked as the front runner. Most of the mainstream conservative voices are very anti-Gingrich and have been really vocal the past two weeks. The National Review(an influential conservative magazine) ran an anti-Gingrich editorial this week.  Romney's surrogates having been going negative.  Gingrich has been facing a lot of negative ads from multiple sources in Iowa. The narrative appears to be that Gingrich is on his way down and I think that's reflected in the Intrade numbers. Of course, it's definitely possible that Intrade traders have over-compensated and Gingrich is under-valued  at this point.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2011, 09:10:22 PM
Great, another Raz rant about Paul is headed our way. :)

The one ranting was either Paul or his ghost writer.  Not me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 15, 2011, 09:01:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2011, 08:27:25 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 15, 2011, 05:52:08 PM
The answer is Caracalla. Thank you for playing!

He did build some impressive baths.

Killed while taking a leak. DISQUALIFIED.

I didn't know how he was killed.  All I knew was he considered one of the bad emperors, he built some baths and was assassinated.

dps

Newt Gingrich    77.4%
Mitt Romnry   71.5%
Jon Huntsman   70.3%

Razgovory

I admit, I have a soft spot for Gingrich.  Yeah, he's an arrogant prick, but he's an intelligent arrogant prick.  He's more an idea man, a wonk.  While I disagree with much of what he says, and he has a tendency toward low blows and cheap tricks I still respect his intellect.  His biggest weakness is that he's an asshole.  And everyone who knows him thinks that, so it's hard for him to build consensus and the like.  I am reminded of the statement about FDR: That he had "a second-rate intellect but a first-rate temperament".  This made him an excellent president.  Gingrich is the opposite.

I'd really like to know what Hans thinks and who he supports.  It's a shame he rarely posts here anymore.