Israeli Jews to American Jews: "You're bad jews"

Started by HVC, December 02, 2011, 11:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1096003--why-these-israeli-ads-are-offending-some-north-americans?bn=1
QuoteInformative videos made by the government don't typically become YouTube hits.

But a series sponsored by Israeli officials that appears to contrast Israeli Jews with their counterparts in North America raised eyebrows this week after being noted on the website of The Jewish Channel.

The ads, which have been viewed tens of thousands of times each on YouTube, are part of an official campaign by the Netanyahu government's Ministry of Immigrant Absorption to convince Israelis living abroad to come back home.

One ad in Hebrew features a Skype conversation during Chanukah between a child in America and her grandparents in Israel. When the elderly couple ask her what holiday it is, the girl answers, "Christmas!"

Another shows a young Jewish woman, "Dafna," reading sadly about Israel's memorial day for fallen soldiers online, while her boyfriend (clearly American, possibly Jewish as well) pays no attention.

"I don't think I have ever seen a demonstration of Israeli contempt for American Jews as obvious as these ads," Atlantic national correspondent Jeffrey Goldberg wrote this week. "These government-sponsored ads suggest that it is impossible for Jews to remain Jewish in America."

Sarah Barmak
Seige, your brethern are judging you :contract:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Not sure the Israeli government has thought out the consequences of losing the Jewish vote within American politics. 

Be careful what you wish for.  If all those voters move to Israel who is going to be left to vote for politicians friendly to the Israeli cause in the US.

Admiral Yi

The Minsky Moment

The government is so deep into their Faustian bargain with American evangelicals, they could care less what the blowback is.  American Jews, being Jews, are a PITA to deal with - always asking questions, raising issues, providing unwated advice.  The evangelicals are more numerous and less demanding (except that part about wanting Armageddon to engulf the entire state - but most are not in an immediate rush on that).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Interestingly enough, the ultra-Orthodox Jews living in Brooklyn think the same thing about Israeli Jews.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 02, 2011, 12:11:42 PM
Not sure the Israeli government has thought out the consequences of losing the Jewish vote within American politics. 

Be careful what you wish for.  If all those voters move to Israel who is going to be left to vote for politicians friendly to the Israeli cause in the US.

You really think support for Israel here is driven by Jews?  LOL
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 02, 2011, 12:20:59 PM
The government is so deep into their Faustian bargain with American evangelicals, they could care less what the blowback is.  American Jews, being Jews, are a PITA to deal with - always asking questions, raising issues, providing unwated advice.  The evangelicals are more numerous and less demanding (except that part about wanting Armageddon to engulf the entire state - but most are not in an immediate rush on that).

The current Israeli government is bonkers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 02, 2011, 12:34:57 PM
The current Israeli government is bonkers.

All this time in the Middle East is rubbing off on them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2011, 12:31:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 02, 2011, 12:11:42 PM

You really think support for Israel here is driven by Jews?  LOL

Maybe not all support - as JR said there are a lot of Christians in the US hoping for the end times and see Israel as the way to bring it on.  But doesnt it stand to reason that the Jewish vote in some parts of the country is also important to at least some politicians?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 02, 2011, 12:20:59 PM
The government is so deep into their Faustian bargain with American evangelicals, they could care less what the blowback is.

If they can care less they aren't totally far gone correct??
PDH!

Maximus

They have to counter the influx of Russian Jews somehow.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 02, 2011, 12:47:39 PM
Maybe not all support - as JR said there are a lot of Christians in the US hoping for the end times and see Israel as the way to bring it on.  But doesnt it stand to reason that the Jewish vote in some parts of the country is also important to at least some politicians?

In what part of the country is the Jewish vote really significant enough to be that big of a deal?  They are less than 2% of the population and further their largest populations are in the most populous states.  Besides they overwhelmingly vote Democrat and it is not like the Republicans are anti-Israel.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 02, 2011, 12:47:39 PM
Maybe in New York or in Florida, but an ideologically divided group of about 5 million in a country of 300 million is not exactly a block with unlimited power.