News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Arlen Specter to become a Democrat

Started by alfred russel, April 28, 2009, 11:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 28, 2009, 05:15:27 PM
I think Snowe should never mention "fiscal responsibility" again.  She voted for the most fiscally irresponsible bill in US history.
She opposed spending increase for most of the time the GOP ran the Senate, as well as the Bush tax cuts because, like McCain, she didn't think they were adequately funded.  As far as I can tell she's only really been keen on spending when there's a global economic crisis.  I think she's in a better position to discuss fiscal responsibility than most Republican Senators who supported very large amounts spending so long as they were in power. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2009, 05:33:38 PM
Pennsylvania isn't that liberal of a place: they did get Rick Santorum elected to a couple of terms there.
I realise that but I thought it was generally a Democrat state and that's it's been voting more and more liberal in recent years.
Let's bomb Russia!

Faeelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2009, 05:35:57 PM
I think Snowe should never mention "fiscal responsibility" again.  She voted for the most fiscally irresponsible bill in US history.
She opposed spending increase for most of the time the GOP ran the Senate, as well as the Bush tax cuts because, like McCain, she didn't think they were adequately funded.  As far as I can tell she's only really been keen on spending when there's a global economic crisis.  I think she's in a better position to discuss fiscal responsibility than most Republican Senators who supported very large amounts spending so long as they were in power.

Sorry. Since Hans is starting from the idea that countercyclical economic spending is a fool's errand, and BTW Bush's Deficits were actually great because they were smaller than that unsustainable economic growth, your argument means squat.

alfred russel

Quote from: Faeelin on April 28, 2009, 05:40:10 PM

Sorry. Since Hans is starting from the idea that countercyclical economic spending is a fool's errand, and BTW Bush's Deficits were actually great because they were smaller than that unsustainable economic growth, your argument means squat.

Growth during the Bush years was poor. I hope the growth rates we've seen the past decade or so are sustainable, or our economic future is not going to be very good.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2009, 11:21:59 AM
Did I beat Tim?

I saw it on CNN online as breaking news, but they took it down, so it may not be true. I guess this would make the Democratic majority filibusterproof, once Al Franken wins his seat.
I can't post from school. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Vince

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 28, 2009, 05:32:36 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2009, 05:18:01 PM
Is there any US Congressman who could actually be considered fiscally responsible?

Out of 535, you'd think at least one or two maybe. Probably not though.  <_<

Hell even Ron Paul loaded up one of those spending bills with more pork than any other GOP congressman.

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on April 28, 2009, 05:40:10 PM
Is he starting from that position?  I thought his ire from the bill was that it was full of ideological spending that he disagrees with.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 28, 2009, 05:32:36 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2009, 05:18:01 PM
Is there any US Congressman who could actually be considered fiscally responsible?

Out of 535, you'd think at least one or two maybe. Probably not though.  <_<
I dunno.  Was there someone who voted against both the stimulus and the Bush tax cuts?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Incidentally, I read somewhere that the GOP was withholding campaignn funds from Snowe and Specter because of their stimulus votes.

Really? And they expect them to stay with the party?

FunkMonk

Who would have thought someone named Arlen would become a Democrat at age 79?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Faeelin on April 28, 2009, 06:08:02 PM
Incidentally, I read somewhere that the GOP was withholding campaignn funds from Snowe and Specter because of their stimulus votes.

I don't think they're doing that.  Michael Steele said that he'd consider it as an option.
Let's bomb Russia!

Faeelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2009, 06:10:29 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on April 28, 2009, 06:08:02 PM

I don't think they're doing that.  Michael Steele said that he'd consider it as an option.

:unsure:

Why would you make that threat? "Because of their vote, we may cut off his reelection funding. What are you going to do, switch parties?"

KRonn

Traitor Spector! Too bad that Darth Cheney isn't still VP - else Spector would rightfully find himself cooling his heels in Gitmo for his treachery!    :mad:

;)

Barrister

Quote from: Faeelin on April 28, 2009, 06:32:34 PM
Why would you make that threat? "Because of their vote, we may cut off his reelection funding. What are you going to do, switch parties?"

Because it's one of the few tools you have to enforce party solidarity and loyalty.

Now it all depends on how you use that threat but as party leader you can't take it off the table as an option...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: KRonn on April 28, 2009, 07:03:55 PM
Traitor Spector! Too bad that Darth Cheney isn't still VP - else Spector would rightfully find himself cooling his heels in Gitmo for his treachery!    :mad:

;)

The 100 days are up, if the G.O.P. was going to assassinate him they would have done it by now.. so by that logic I think Spectre thought it was finally safe to join the "Good Guys".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.