News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So you wanna be a codebreaker?

Started by Brazen, December 01, 2011, 06:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Throwing some descriptions of what I'm doing in here, just for shits and giggles.  Right now, I'm counting off the individual values.  That should tell me what kind of data I'm looking at- if there are 26 values, I can be pretty sure that it's alphabetic characters, 27 probably means alpha plus spaces, and 36 and 37 would suggest the same thing with the inclusion of Arabic digits.

EDIT: Of course, this is a first pass, and I'm assuming a direct cipher.  There are ways (usually involving modulo) to map the same value to multiple characters, depending on context.
Experience bij!

PDH

"F U Jaron"

What kind of lame code conceals that?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on December 01, 2011, 09:00:53 AM
WTF is this supposed to be?  It's hard to break a code if you don't even know what the end result should look like.  Is the end result a letter, a word, a gibberish number/letter combination, or a sentence?

I think you meant to post this on Yahoo.
and the horse you rode in on

DontSayBanana

Another observation... 41 and 42 are the only couplets that appear more than three times in a row, and always to the end of the line.  That probably means they're bloat characters to fill up space.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

I'm pretty sure first page is Assembly code.

Also it's step 1 of 3.

Also, the page is feeding out asp. Could be easier to SQL inject it & hack the answer.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2011, 11:00:24 AM
I'm pretty sure first page is Assembly code.

Also it's step 1 of 3.

Also, the page is feeding out asp. Could be easier to SQL inject it & hack the answer.

Actually, it reads like an 802.xx packet capture, come to think of it.
Experience bij!

Habbaku

Quote from: fahdiz on December 01, 2011, 10:52:54 AM
WTF is this supposed to be?  It's hard to break a code if you don't even know what the end result should look like.  Is the end result a letter, a word, a gibberish number/letter combination, or a sentence?

:lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: fahdiz on December 01, 2011, 10:52:54 AM

:face: Douche.  Err, I mean touche.

Ideologue

QuoteSo you wanna be a codebreaker

No.  Citybreaker.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on December 01, 2011, 11:57:46 AM
:face: Douche.  Err, I mean touche.

No worries. Glass houses, blah blah blah.
and the horse you rode in on