Language Police to Force Children to Speak French During Recess

Started by jimmy olsen, November 27, 2011, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 28, 2011, 05:17:33 PM
I am unaware of anything like a "school pledge" which requires enforcement through legislation.

Huh?  You honestly have never heard of a school board with a policy of having kids say a pledge?  I was required to do it in school.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 28, 2011, 04:58:27 PM
Unless you are stating that "prominent Montreal civil rights lawyer" Julius Grey and "Cabinet Minister" Christine St-Pierre (both, I understand, from the Province of Quebec) are both really Timmay ...  :hmm:
Julius Grey is your equivalent for Quebec.  He sees oppression of minorities everywhere and makes a crusade to defend them, for the right price.
I believe he was a member of Alliance Quebec, back in the days, or took their silly cases in front of all possible courts.

Christine St-Pierre simply said she supported the decision.  I don't see indignation here.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 28, 2011, 04:16:46 PM
Yes normally you have one or two people watching a whole school yard - hardly able to be at a distance to listen in to ensure that the french only rule is being followed.  Imagine how much it would cost to have enough monitors out to enforce this rule. 

Creating a rule which is unenforceable brings such a system into disrepute.

Do you actually know the extent and procedures in which they are going to try to impliment this policy or are you just making shit up and then getting outraged about what you imagine?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2011, 10:25:20 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2011, 10:21:30 AM
I don't think anyone is objecting to the theory of it working. I think they are objecting to the intrusiveness of forcing children to speak a specific language even when they are essentially relaxing during recess.

Obviously the people who actually have an interest in the policy, the school board and the parents, do not object they support the policy...indeed they created it.  It seems odd to sit around worried what some local school board someplace does.  At least they are not banning evolution or something.

Yes because we can never discuss events that have no impact on us. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 29, 2011, 09:25:06 AM
However, the notion that this story is a creation of the English Canadian media is, you know, patently false.
It is a creation of the English Canadian media.  It's what we called a non story. Yet, indignation there is, from the english speaking community of this forum + Martinus, but that was to be expected.  I'm only surprised Raz hasn't posted yet.

EDIT: indeed, the nutjob posted in the thread.  I think he should be deported to Poland and forced to live with Marty, these two would get along well together.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2011, 10:33:35 AM

Of course you can.  I can also discuss my opinions on the discussion is that ok with you?

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on November 29, 2011, 10:30:27 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 28, 2011, 04:58:27 PM
Unless you are stating that "prominent Montreal civil rights lawyer" Julius Grey and "Cabinet Minister" Christine St-Pierre (both, I understand, from the Province of Quebec) are both really Timmay ...  :hmm:
Julius Grey is your equivalent for Quebec.  He sees oppression of minorities everywhere and makes a crusade to defend them, for the right price.
I believe he was a member of Alliance Quebec, back in the days, or took their silly cases in front of all possible courts.

Christine St-Pierre simply said she supported the decision.  I don't see indignation here.

The point is that (a) they are both from Quebec, (b) characterizing a recess policy as a 'threat to civil rights' clearly qualifies as indignation, and (c) normally, one does not consult a Cabinet Minister over a recess policy! The fact that the school saw the necessity of doing so indicates that 'frothing' is going on. :lol:

It is obviously being made 'a big deal of' in Quebec itself, it is not a story that is the product of the English Canadian media, and characterizing it as such is simply ... wrong.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2011, 10:34:50 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2011, 10:33:35 AM

Of course you can.  I can also discuss my opinions on the discussion is that ok with you?

Apparently not. You've already told me that we shouldn't be having the discussion in the first place.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2011, 10:38:55 AMApparently not. You've already told me that we shouldn't be having the discussion in the first place.

Sounds like you're blowing Valmy's comments out of proportion.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on November 29, 2011, 10:34:09 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 29, 2011, 09:25:06 AM
However, the notion that this story is a creation of the English Canadian media is, you know, patently false.
It is a creation of the English Canadian media.  It's what we called a non story. Yet, indignation there is, from the english speaking community of this forum + Martinus, but that was to be expected.  I'm only surprised Raz hasn't posted yet.

EDIT: indeed, the nutjob posted in the thread.  I think he should be deported to Poland and forced to live with Marty, these two would get along well together.

So, am I to understand that Oex was mistaken or lying when he said that La Presse "first broke the story"?  :hmm:

Why haven't the elements I mentioned (which one can easily find in La Presse, which first broke out the story) been included in th Post's article?

Or perhaps La Presse is really an English Canadian newspaper? I always thought it was a Montreal-based French-language paper, but I can be educated otherwise.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on November 29, 2011, 10:41:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2011, 10:38:55 AMApparently not. You've already told me that we shouldn't be having the discussion in the first place.

Sounds like you're blowing Valmy's comments out of proportion.

Not anymore than the suggestion that those objecting to this policy are "sit[ting] around worried what some local school board someplace does."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on November 29, 2011, 10:37:51 AM
normally, one does not consult a Cabinet Minister over a recess policy!

Normally one doesn't, but it might reach that level if a "prominent" plaintiff's attorney starts threatening constitutional challenges.  Or if a national newspaper calls for comment.

The article doesn't make clear exactly what prompted the minister's involvement.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2011, 10:47:02 AM
Not anymore than the suggestion that those objecting to this policy are "sit[ting] around worried what some local school board someplace does."

Is that an outrageous suggestion?  I mean the school boards only have so much power to really be coercive.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2011, 10:53:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2011, 10:47:02 AM

Is that an outrageous suggestion?  I mean the school boards only have so much power to really be coercive.

I don't think any of us are actively worrying. I think it is okay to find such a policy repugnant as well as those who seek to excuse said policy. Nothing in that involves much energy, time or effort.

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2011, 10:47:30 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 29, 2011, 10:37:51 AM
normally, one does not consult a Cabinet Minister over a recess policy!

Normally one doesn't, but it might reach that level if a "prominent" plaintiff's attorney starts threatening constitutional challenges.  Or if a national newspaper calls for comment.

The article doesn't make clear exactly what prompted the minister's involvement.

Certainly. My point is simply that the locus of this controversy is in Quebec, not outside of it, as both Cabinet Minister and "prominent" plaintiff's attorney making threatening noises are, both of them, from Quebec, and the story was first 'broken' by a major Montreal newpaper (which, moreover, is a French-language newspaper.

What I'm combatting is the bizzare, counter-factual paranoid fantasy that the story is purely a 'creation of the English Canadian media'. It is not. It may or may nor be a tempest in a teapot, but the English Canadian news services are merely picking up a story reported on in Quebec.