News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Booting from HDD only?

Started by viper37, November 25, 2011, 02:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I have a removable drive on my home computer, and if I live it plugged in, whenever i reboot Windows, it tries to boot from there instead of the C: drive.

Easy to fix?  Sure tought so.  I went into the BIOS, deleted all boot device save for my fixed hard drive.  Still have the same problem.  Only way to fix this is to disable the option for "legacy USB", but then I lose my keyboard and mouse until I enter Windows (so I can't access the bios only I plug a PS/2 kb).

Any other ways to fix this?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on November 25, 2011, 02:12:23 PM
I have a removable drive on my home computer, and if I live it plugged in, whenever i reboot Windows, it tries to boot from there instead of the C: drive.

Easy to fix?  Sure tought so.  I went into the BIOS, deleted all boot device save for my fixed hard drive.  Still have the same problem.  Only way to fix this is to disable the option for "legacy USB", but then I lose my keyboard and mouse until I enter Windows (so I can't access the bios only I plug a PS/2 kb).

There isn't another toggle labelled something like "Enable Boot From USB?"
Experience bij!

derspiess

I had this problem with XP-- to correct it I had to do something weird in BIOS that seemed to have nothing to do with boot device priority or USB.  Have not had it recur with Vista or 7.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 27, 2011, 10:54:20 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 25, 2011, 02:12:23 PM

There isn't another toggle labelled something like "Enable Boot From USB?"
not that I can see...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Vricklund

Strange. Try making a logical, instead of a primary partition on thé removable drive. That'll stop windows for sure. If you can afford to wipe it that is.