Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on November 24, 2011, 02:55:06 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on November 24, 2011, 02:51:44 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 24, 2011, 02:50:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 24, 2011, 02:31:21 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 24, 2011, 01:12:06 PM
Source?

Rome and the Barbarian Invasions, or something like that.

Total War games don't count.

EU: Rome?

No one played it.

I played it and went bankrupt when everybody and his dog added so many cohorts to my army I was both unable to pay them and unable to disband them as well as being unable to refuse more "volunteers".

That was silly. Those guys were illiterate, I wrote each one of them a note saying (in latin), we have enough soldiers and we don't  have enough money to pay you, please go home.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: The Brain on November 24, 2011, 01:12:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 24, 2011, 12:23:17 PM
All education was private, and very expensive, in the Roman Empire.  Not surprising that literacy was very low.

Source?

AFAIK, he's right about the private part, but who knows about the expensive part.  Sure, probably it was expensive to acquire a full classical education, but basic literacy?  I'm not so sure.

Queequeg

Why would literacy rates crumble after the adoption of Christianity and not after, say, the crisis of the Third Century?  Why would there be such high literacy rates in the largely rural west?  That graph strikes me as full of shit.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Queequeg on November 24, 2011, 05:12:00 PM
Why would literacy rates crumble after the adoption of Christianity and not after, say, the crisis of the Third Century?  Why would there be such high literacy rates in the largely rural west?  That graph strikes me as full of shit.

Agreed.

The figure for "Christian Europe" for 600.....0.01%...........has got to be utter bollocks given that half the Byzantine Empire was in Europe and Christian.

Razgovory

Oh yeah, that's bullshit.  I've seen similar graphs about "scientific advances".

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The origin of the Graph seems to come from here http://www.nobeliefs.com/comments10.htm

As far as I can tell there are no number behind the graph.  It's simply arbitrary lines and colors.  Of course it also implies that only Europeans can do things.  What about the Chinese or Japanese, or any East Asia country.  What about Africa or India? If Christianity actually caused a massive gap like this you would expect other cultures to jump a head.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2011, 05:25:48 PM

Oh yeah, that's bullshit.  I've seen similar graphs about "scientific advances".

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The origin of the Graph seems to come from here http://www.nobeliefs.com/comments10.htm

As far as I can tell there are no number behind the graph.  It's simply arbitrary lines and colors.  Of course it also implies that only Europeans can do things.  What about the Chinese or Japanese, or any East Asia country.  What about Africa or India? If Christianity actually caused a massive gap like this you would expect other cultures to jump a head.

Even on its face it is silly, since the Dark Ages were hardly *caused* by Christianity.

Also - anyone *really* want to see Roman Emperors armed with nukes? Facing off against multiple rivals? :lol: Instead of "exploring the galaxy" we could easily now be "bombed back into the stone age" ... 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 24, 2011, 05:29:27 PM
Also - anyone *really* want to see Roman Emperors armed with nukes? Facing off against multiple rivals? :lol:

Somewhere in Korea, Tim just got a boner.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

It also implies that Romans had a level technology on par with the European Renaissance.  I guess I missed the part about Roman cannons, printing, trans-Atlantic voyages, etc.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on November 24, 2011, 05:29:27 PM

Even on its face it is silly, since the Dark Ages were hardly *caused* by Christianity.

Also - anyone *really* want to see Roman Emperors armed with nukes? Facing off against multiple rivals? :lol: Instead of "exploring the galaxy" we could easily now be "bombed back into the stone age" ...

It is a pretty silly argument that Christianity caused such a stagnation in progress. You have exactly the same sort of stagnation happening in the muslim world with the end of itjihad and the emergence of Al Gazali which ended the Muslim Golden Age of Science and you have the Mongol Conquest of China ending the Sung Enlightenment both of which happen in the 12th and 13th centuries. The Scholastics emerge in Europe at that time and over the next 300 years they embrace all the Muslim and Chinese advancements that they had ignored during the Dark Ages. So it's not like if we had not gone christian Colombus would have gone to the Moon not America. The other issue is that cultural and economic conditions decide how far science can advance in a society as well. So what if you could have had much more progress, if you don't need a technology it's not going to be invented and if the society around you works in such a manner that you can't get paid for the technology it's also not going to be invented.

However, what is special about the dark ages is that in the western roman empire kept western europe at a higher technological level than it's social and economic structures would suggest. After the plagues, climate change and socioeconomic factors which depopulated the western roman empire the loss of connection with the east that germanic conquests caused the west to regress to the level of tech it would have maintained had it not been part of rome.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I don't think there really was that much "Stagnation" in the world at the time.  Not much more then there was during the Roman Empire.  It's not like people "forgot" how to make Iron or ride horses.  The biggest loss were cultural.  Philosophic tracts, literature etc.  Math did take a big hit though and likely engineering.  But the I think that can be attributed more to depopulation then anything else.  If the number of cities declines dramatically the need to build aqueducts to them isn't that important.  So it may have been lost due to lack of use. Much is made of of the loss of medical knowledge, but that's really kind of a wash.  Roman and Greek medicine wasn't that effective.  It was based on principles that had no relation to actual health (and many procedures were injurious to human health).  Sometimes they did the right thing but based it on incorrect assumptions.  The Roman knew that people got malaria around swamps and made great efforts to drain those swamps.  They concluded that it was caused by bad smells (which is where the word Malaria comes from.  It means "bad air". Medicine didn't really become that effective until the enlightenment.  And they didn't actually understand what caused disease until the 19th.

So Viking, what was that word you used for a religious apologist who's so out there that it might be a parody?  "Poe" was it?  Perhaps we can apply it to the Atheist who came up with that graph.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"