News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Economic exploitation of space

Started by Razgovory, November 23, 2011, 01:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Something I've been wondering about.  What exactly can be taken or done in space that is worth money.  There are two things that spring to mind and I'm wondering if they are economically feasible or worth it.  When I say feasible I mean a more for a technologically advanced state then we are in now.

First one:  Asteroid mining.  This gets thrown around a lot.  Thing is, asteroid don't seem to be made of very special materials.  Mostly silicon, oxygen, carbon, iron and nickel.  Those are pretty common here.  I suppose they'd be handy if you were building something in space, but bringing it back to Earth doesn't seem like it would be economically profitable.  Are there asteroid made of more valuable or rarer elements?  Like uranium, gold, tungsten, etc?

Second one:  farming.  I remember this from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.  In the novel the moon colonists grew crops on the moon in big greenhouses and sent them to Earth.  Is that really feasible?  Presumably they get more light on the Moon, but I would think the cold and need to bring up soil would be a problem.  I wouldn't think regolith would be good for planting crops in.

Honestly don't know much about these type of things, that's why I'm asking here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Some sort of energy production maybe. Solar arrays or orbital reactors. Tourism, of course. Definitely not farming.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

The trouble with taking advantage of anything economically in space is that the transportation costs are absolutely enormous.  As such anything you'd need to do would have to be extremely high value / weight.

Like MIM said energy production might be quite valuable, since theere is no weight at all.  And obviously the only commercial exploitation of space so far is the information from orbiting satellites.

Mining?  Companies are already exploring some incredibly inhospitable places for mining, so I wouldn't rule it out completely.  But obviously it wouldn't be for more common resources like iron.  But can you find gold or diamonds on an asteroid?

Farming absolutely not.  It's a hell of a lot easier to use "big greenhouses" here on earth.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Communications (TV, phone, internet) via satellites seems to be economical.

The Brain

Space factories producing space goods for the space masses.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

It would seem more likely to farm in the Antarctic before the moon.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Siege

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2011, 01:18:24 PM
The trouble with taking advantage of anything economically in space is that the transportation costs are absolutely enormous.  As such anything you'd need to do would have to be extremely high value / weight.

The Space Elevator (tm) will solve this problem.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: alfred russel on November 23, 2011, 01:30:25 PM
It would seem more likely to farm in the Antarctic before the moon.

Humm, now THAT is an idea!

Ed Anger

Shooting Tim into the Sun for fun and entertainment.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 23, 2011, 05:32:59 PM

Your hatred is undeserved.
Tim is an undispensable member of this forum.
Unlike you.

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on November 23, 2011, 05:17:20 PM

What do you intend to make it out of?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Siege on November 23, 2011, 05:35:20 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 23, 2011, 05:32:59 PM

Your hatred is undeserved.
Tim is an undispensable member of this forum.
Unlike you.

Jehovah.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on November 23, 2011, 05:42:35 PM
Quote from: Siege on November 23, 2011, 05:17:20 PM

What do you intend to make it out of?
Carbon nanotubes.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory